Raleigh Criterium Triathlon, I think...

I've got a frame (seems that happens a lot) that I'm building into a retro bike with downtube shifters and full Shimano 600 (6400) groupset with a fresh new paint job. I was just wondering if anyone could help with what it was.
The current paint job and what's left of the decals looks like a 'Criterium Triathlon' from the 80s but there's a few bits that don't match.
The top tube is drilled for internal brake cable with no guides, there is only one set of bottle bosses (the catalogue boasts of two) and the fork crown is different.
I know Raleigh could be a bit loose on consistency but is this a different bike?
There is also 2 different serial numbers on it, on the BB shell it has '76822' and on the tamper proof label on the seat tube is '00643599'.
Any ideas?
https://www.flickr.com/gp/157053716@N06/Gv40K7

Re:

I'd agree Criterium.

In the 1988 lightweights catalogue there's a Triathlon which is 531 but cream not blue. Funnily enough I passed one the other day, more or less original with mostly 105 components and nice to see it hadny been converted to single speed.

would agree its a Criterium, but its not the 87/88 one its a later one. There was a 89/90 model which had the darker yellow decals and the later 501 decal like yours does.

But I think it still had twin bottles and a cable guides. Altough the guides could have been removed and holes made at some point later in its life

Re:

Good to know, thanks for the input.

I'm stripping and re-spraying it anyway so I've added a couple of extra braze on bits with some silver solder and a blowtorch (nerve racking but fun). It's now sporting the second set of bottle bosses and decorative covers for the cable holes on the top tube.

I also added a chain hitch on the rear stay and a race number boss underneath the top tube at the front because why not? At >£1 an item it would be rude not to!

It's with a sand blaster now as the 80's Raleigh paint is impervious to conventional weapons so I'll put up a couple more snaps when it's back.

Re:

Just did a little bit of googling, the frame looks more like a Raleigh Elan, single bottle and internal cabling but the forks and paint scheme suggest Criterium, odd.

Re:

Interestingly, since the paint has benn stripped there is a different serial number stamped ate the bottom of the seat tube, this one is 0065907 with no letters.
Anyone know much about Raleigh serials numbers? I've had a look at Sheldon and relevant links but nothing seems to tie up.

Re:

So after a shot blast and a good wipe down with a rag and xylene the primer is on. Just sourcing some masking decals and I can start layering up paint.
I was going to build this up with 6400 Ultegra but a slightly tastier Columbus frame came my way (another thread) so I've acquired a clean 300 Exage group for a song on eBizzle for this.
This will be a trial run for me on the paint as I'm going to go balls out with some exciting new toys and techniques. As such this will end up for sale when it's done, probably at a price that far undercuts the effort.

Here's a pic of the blasted frame with some wheels in just to eye it up and a couple of the early paint process.

https://flickr.com/photos/157053716@N06 ... 9862023420

Back