Misaligned Peugeot 753 frame - opinons

tarloone

Retro Guru
Hi There
Something odd going on with this Peugeot frame and looking for opinions. The rear wheel is pulled right over to the left, about 5mm! However in another 2 frames (one pictured)..its centred perfectly!

I've measured the frame with string from many sections to check for any alignment discrepancies - everything checks out equally measured on both sides so I'm at a loss whats going on!

All frames in question are 126mm old, as is the wheel.

I'm thinking of just dishing the wheel right over to centre it and carry on as normal...any ideas?

Attachments

• 20180203_171544.jpg
    20180203_171544.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 775
  • 20180203_171758.jpg
    20180203_171758.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 775
Is the wheel still vertical and straight, just moved left? Or is it on an angle (front of the wheel left of centre, bottom of wheel right of centre)? Is it centered at the chainstays behind the BB?

Have you fitted the wheel the other way around (block on the non-drive side), and is it the same if you do that?

It seems that maybe the RHS dropout is higher than the left , from the livery It appears to be a post `87 frame but does it have the horizonal simplex dropouts or the smaller vertical dropouts which became the norm during 1988. Are there any signs of a repair. Its also possible if you dont know the frames` history that someone has pulled out one side of the rear triangle to fit a wider hub , then wanted to revert back to 126mm spacing but pushed/ pulled the opposite side instead making the whole rear triangle offset. I`m sure those with more technical knowledge will add their learned opinion but this is my best brain effort. I have had a lot of 531 / 753 pugs and never come across this , I`m currently restoring a similar Pug frame and mine is dead centre as per the photo. Can you post a picture of the dropouts from the rear without the wheel ?

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 758
Re:

Thanks for the replies guys!
Yes the wheel sits the same when inserted block on ND side. Though I get a feeling that its sitting at a very slight vertical angle
Its an 88 with the simplex dropouts with adjuster screws. The frame weight of 1750gms (52cm) makes me think its a 753 but it could also be an Aravis as the frame has definitely been resprayed at some point so its history is largely unknown...though the Simplex dropouts and chrome can only mean 753 or 531p

Attachments

• 20180203_184108.jpg
    20180203_184108.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 751
Is it just the photo? but the LHS dropout looks pushed inwards , are the dropouts parallel when viewed from above , it my have been bent in with something like this ( its not perspective, it really is that big ) :-O

Attachments

• bigspanner.jpg
    bigspanner.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 733
Re:

Way out, could be rear drop out not parallel, or the rear triangle is out of line

Surprising that the string round the headtube and back through the rear end doesn’t show anything, is the string tight, and no knots fouling it?

753 is supposedly tricky stuff to heave in and out, so I’d suggest you get it to a decent framebuilder, they will sort it and it looks well worth saving

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":166geibz said:
Way out, could be rear drop out not parallel, or the rear triangle is out of line

Surprising that the string round the headtube and back through the rear end doesn’t show anything, is the string tight, and no knots fouling it?

753 is supposedly tricky stuff to heave in and out, so I’d suggest you get it to a decent framebuilder, they will sort it and it looks well worth saving

I think you're spot on, I'm just up the road from a good frame restorer so will pop it in, its otherwise in great nick and doesn't owe me much so worth spending on getting it sorted. These old frames in the right size are getting scarce now! :(

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":3gsig6nd said:

The string trick only really works where the rear triangle is laterally out of line, ie to the left or right and the misalignment shows on the chainstays near the bb. This frame appears to be vertically misaligned, as if the 2 dropouts were mistakenly brazed with the right one higher than the left. Or maybe the dropouts are twisted and not vertical.
If it were me, I'd check first whether the do's are vertical, if not use the monster spanner and twist back.
If the left do has been brazed lower than the right, I'd file a few mm off the top edge of the slot. Filing will of course be hard to get through the chrome.

Back