Low height headsets - brake caliper fouling issue

Simon Masterson

Old School Hero
Hi all, more problems, I swear this build is cursed... :facepalm:

Pic says it all really, my Weinmann 500 caliper fouls my Campag headset race. Even I had one of the earlier ones without big rubber bumper on it I’d need a new headset. Gah.

Anyone know of a potentially suitable headset? Preferably that would look vaguely appropriate on a late ‘70s-early ‘80s TT machine? And that isn’t heavy? And not expensive? Cheers :)

wmjl7a.jpg

Re: Low stacking headsets

Shimanos come up small but that might be a bit late for your aesthetic.

Re:

a common problem back in the day.
insert a washer - preferably one of the alloy ones made for brakes. You may have to flatten the top of the washer with a file to clear the headset

BTW - your title is misleading - a low stacking headset is where the fork thread isn't long enough and you need a headset with less "height", ie stack

Re: Re:

pigman":3h3jnue0 said:
a common problem back in the day.
insert a washer - preferably one of the alloy ones made for brakes. You may have to flatten the top of the washer with a file to clear the headset

BTW - your title is misleading - a low stacking headset is where the fork thread isn't long enough and you need a headset with less "height", ie stack

Amazing, thanks - and for pointing out the error with the terminology; will update thread title.

Re:

You probably should work out the stack-height of the frame/forks, though, especially if you are after headset recommendations.

If it's a TT frame it might well have a low stack height.

No '70s headset that I am aware of would have a bottom cup 'skirting' the crown race like that.

Re:

I did actually measure it before fitting that headset - the head tube is 130 and from memory, the steerer is 170. Late ‘80s Campag headsets have a stack height of 37-39 I think?

I'd try a Tange Passage headset, less than 15 quid and widely used BITD asl low stack height for close clearence TT frames. Way, way cheaper than a Campag Pista :)

Back