How to remove this type of freewheel, NEW question added!

StevieBob

Dirt Disciple
Hello all,

Turning with slight desperation to the good people here!

So on this Giant Cadex CFR3 from 1993 was this pretty cool wheelset. Ambrosio 19 Extra Elite Aero Dynamic on (what I believe are) Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo hubs.

The 6 speed freewheel (?? must be right?) was crappy. So I want it gone. Now I know freewheels and normally they have splines inside that fit a tool (that I have) and blablabla you can remove it. Now this freewheel has none of that. On the outer thing it said it was a Shimano. Now I got the sprockets off and I am stuck with this weird looking thing. Tried to put it in a vice and unscrew it counterclockwise, but it does not grip so it just slides.

What is this weird (I never seen them like this before) freewheel and how do I get the bloddy thing off?? Please help!

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

Re: How to remove this type of freewheel and what type is it??

Take the axle out and look inside?

Yooo tooooob

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVL1XqZve8[/youtube]

legrandefromage said:
Take the axle out and look inside?

Yooo tooooob

Seen that video. But I just have the idea I am missing something here. The lack of a tool fitting when everything was in 1 piece and the weird look of the thing left. No threads on it either, so it was not a two chainwhip ordeal either.

Edit: The thing is with these splines that they don provide grip :S

Taking the axel out might be a good idea.

I had a rear wheel with this type of freehub stuck to it - I seem to remember it being something along the lines of 600 or DA.

legrandefromage":2o9exlub said:
I had a rear wheel with this type of freehub stuck to it - I seem to remember it being something along the lines of 600 or DA.

That could very well be, because what I understood from an afternoon on the webs searching, was that those did not have a toll thing. So how did you get it off? Turning counterclockwise is the right way to go right?

it was a long time ago but yes, counter clockwise seemed to be the right thing to do.

Re:

I only did freewheels in the 5 speed days, so no idea about this, but I would have thought the small diameter part would have unscrewed from the large diameter part with cogs on and 2 chain whips.

It should be fairly obvious that freewheels tighten in the pedalling direction and loosen in the opposite.

Back in the 60s I used to rate a 5 speed freewheel and chain replacement on virtually any bike was a 10 minute job, and just charged the retail cost of the 2, which was £1.11.6d, my bit was 12.6d, not bad for 10 minutes.

Keith

Re: Re:

keithglos":198g36ue said:
I only did freewheels in the 5 speed days, so no idea about this, but I would have thought the small diameter part would have unscrewed from the large diameter part with cogs on and 2 chain whips.

It should be fairly obvious that freewheels tighten in the pedalling direction and loosen in the opposite.

Back in the 60s I used to rate a 5 speed freewheel and chain replacement on virtually any bike was a 10 minute job, and just charged the retail cost of the 2, which was £1.11.6d, my bit was 12.6d, not bad for 10 minutes.

Keith

Keith, you reckon I should try to unscrew the smaller part first? Would that still be possible after I removed the cogs?

That's odd but somehow rings a bell.....does the thing still left on the hub spin anticlockwise and "catch" clockwise like a freehub? I wonder if it was part of the strange Shimano FF system?

Being Campag Nuovo Tipo all it can have is a thread..

Did it look like this?

s-l300.jpg

My hunch on the FF could be right?

Back