Ride or Restore

Oldaircool

Devout Dirtbag
Hi, I'm really sorry if this has been done to death but what's the consensus? Would you restore a bike or keep it original? I've just bought an 88 Road Ace, quite a few scratches and marks but no dings. I was going to get her sprayed but a mate said it will never be original again? Like to hear some thoughts........

I've done both, but I have to admit I prefer to attempt to repair paintwork rather than respray as it can be both very expensive and unsatisfactory when compared to the factory scheme.

Once you've got lots of big chips in complex, multi-layer sections or rust has started to eat way under the paintwork, its time to make the jump and decide what the new coulour scheme is going to be.

With full reworks, Ive paid a couple of hundred quid for a single colour enamel and decal job and been seriously pissed off with the job and I've paid under 50 for a powdercoat and done the decals myself and been very happy with the outcom.

Touch-up jobs are very much trial and error and you MUST do them in daylight.

Thanks. I've had a good quality powder coat before. Was quite reasonably priced too. Am tempted to give it a go myself with that bike.spray. Anyone used it?

If you love it, lavish it. Ride for a good while touched up. If you bond you can have a think and devise something befitting your love.

Check out the connoisseur below. Clicky

If it's of sentimental value or has a history with you then get it full restored & upgrade some bits.... it's down to you at the end of the day..

Re:

Personally if it’s a bit rough round the edges then I would just ride it and enjoy it.

Any bike that I restore or is in really nice condition I don’t tend to use as I don’t want to spoil them, which is a real waste.

Regards,

Dave.

Back