1950s Conloy ASP alloy rims - NIPPLE washers?

deliquium

Retro Guru
Calling all older wheelbuilders :?:

Following on from a previous thread where I built a pair of wheels using Conloy ASP alloy 26" x 1¼" rims, DT Swiss 15/17g S/S spokes and LF Airlite hubs for a friend - should I have used small oval washers under the nipples?

Just seen THIS LISTING ON EBAY.

Would SAPIM small oval washers be suitable also?

Would it be a good idea to strip and rebuild the wheels with such washers?

Attachments

• file-1.jpg
    file-1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 426
  • file.jpg
    file.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 426
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
All Conloy ASP rims I have built I used the oval washers for sure, helps spread the load I believe.

Back in the day most if not all quality built wheels used oval washers under the nipple head & a good number used the brass round washers under thespoke head reasons being spread the load on the single wall rim & the hubs spoke holes often were to large meaning the spoke worked in the hole & guillotined the head off Since the advent of precision holes in hubs & double wal eyeleted rims has the use of washers died awaybeing considered unnecessary

Metals you should not use directly on alloy rims are brass and steel.
Conloys originally should have had aluminium washers which were flat one side and concave the other. Also brass spoke nipples claimed to be cadmiun coated, might have been zinc coated.
The old oval steel washers were for westwood (steel roadster rod brake type) rims that had only one thickness of steel in the centre, while the endrick type had 2.

Keith

Re:

Having only been building wheels for 10 years, these were the first Conloys I'd come across. Four reasons I didn't consider washers under the modern zinc plated DT Swiss 1.8mm nipples (and DT Swiss 15/17g spokes) -

a) the rims' extrusion seemed thicker than modern types

b) the rim's spoke holes appear to have been countersunk and/or previous non washered nipples caused this?

c) I'd built a few pairs of wheels with non-eyeleted Rigida rims, which are still going strong

d) I wasn't aware of the curved Sapim steel washers

Would I be advised to ask my friend Andy for the Conloy wheels to be returned and rebuild them with Sapim curved steel washers - or are they not the best answer?

The bike isn't going to get ridden a great deal and the rider is a light chap like me, so about 64kg/10st.

Many thanks for your replies and thoughts, Paul

Back