'80s pedals with modern shoes?

RadNomad

Senior Retro Guru
My 1986 Carlton retains it's original SR Sakae SP 250 pedals with toe clips. The rear face of the pedal cage is higher than the front. I remember back in the '80s i had a pair of Diadora shoes with a slot across the bottom into which the rear pedal cage would fit, then with the toe clip straps secured one's feet would be very securely fixed into the pedal. Presumably this was some kind of foot locating standard from the '80s.

I now wish to use flat bottomed shoes - Vittoria 1976 Classics, which are SPD compatible but i will use them as flat shoes to run toe clips for that retro look.

Due to above described characteristics, the shoes will only contact the pedals at the front and rear cage of the pedal, the ball of the foot will not contact the pedal axle or any inner castings between the front and rear cage faces. The shoes have reasonably stiff soles as they are cycling specific shoes but not as stiff as carbon shoes. It seems to me that when cycling i may lose power in flexing the shoe soles rather than transferring that engergy into the pedal axle.

Just wondering whether anyone else had similar experience and noticed any benefit from making changes? Or is it common / normal that shoes only contact the front and rear cages on older pedals?

Sorry can't upload pics, it doesn't work, dunno why.

RadNomad":20gy4ynd said:
It seems to me that when cycling i may lose power in flexing the shoe soles rather than transferring that engergy into the pedal axle.
You won't. Unless you are using trainers/tennis shoes, which you aren't. As long as the sole is stiff enough to ensure comfort, carry on. These shoes appear to be fairly substantial SPD road shoes, the sole *WILL* be stiff enough. It'll probably be stiffer than a 1986 race shoe.

Only issue i can see is if you've got a completely smooth and hard soled shoe (which you don't), it may slip off the pedal. Especially when JRA, as you generally don't tighten the strap unless you are going for it.

Just an idea, but maybe after you've ridden a few miles and marked the rubber outsole, you *could* cut a 2mmx2mm slot across the rubber just to provide some location feature between pedal and shoe........

Re:

Thanks mattr for taking the trouble to understand what i meant.. i guess you even checked out some pics online. OK i will try this combination and see how it goes! :D

I think that this power argument is massively over-stated and largely marketing puff. A rigid shoe is definitely more comfortable, but the energy loss is minimal - if it was large you would feel the shoe warm up like a squash ball.

Sure, as part of gaining a stack of 0.01% gains for an Olympic track medal it matters...otherwise no.

Re:

echoing Hamster, I have some sidi carbon soled shoes (SPD MTB fitting) and they are too stiff. They are light and sexy and look the bizz tho. They cost over £200 a pair. I'm actually more comfortable in my £70 shimano SPDs both for riding and walking. The shimano shoe fabric is also more pliable and comfortable

TBH, the sidis do have rececessed cleats, but the stiffness of the sole makes you feel like you're walking in dedicated race shoes. Not good for carrying a round of drinks post-ride

and before anyone asks, yes, they are the correct size

I've not had a problem with a too flexible shoe since my racing days, and that was a cheap nasty pair of diadoras that i was given by sponsors.
It wasn't exactly too flexible, it was just that where it did bend was a point that bloody hurt. Prior to that i'd never had an issue except when riding with a pair of converse on....... :oops:

pigman":3oyvstnp said:
They cost over £200 a pair.
Hope you didn't pay that for them! I always buy last years colours at at least 50% off....... probably why we have ~2 grands worth of assorted sidis lining the shoerack....... going back 15 odd years!

Edit, nearer 3 grand with the latest round of purchases :shock:

Re:

no Matt, they were reduced from 265 to circa 190 in one of CRC's clearance sales. Even then, that is more than I'd normally pay - im a tight git with no real equipment fetish, I just thought what the hell, there's some spare change jingling in my pocket ...

:D My last splurge was some sidi wire reduced from 450 to 150.

Since found out that the buyer for that particular company buys a quantity of whatever he wants, takes a set for himself then injects the rest of the stock into the system. And they get reduced in line with the normal processes for the company......

I regularly check their site for top end gear. They had a load of top end giants last year for sale at between 50 and 65% off......... still near enough 3 grand that i didn't have....

Re: Re:

pigman":4f7lvsrk said:
TBH, the sidis do have rececessed cleats, but the stiffness of the sole makes you feel like you're walking in dedicated race shoes. Not good for carrying a round of drinks post-ride

Yep, they make you walk like a duck...and you slip over on almost any smooth surface.

You can probably get a plastic cleat with that slot in it to attach, try planet x for track cleats, cheap enough to bodge if they are not exactly right

Back