Bates Vegrandes advice

Rustman1

Dirt Disciple
Hi all.

I’m a full time rodie, first time vintage do’er up’er.

I’ve been given this awesome old Bates Vegrandis with the catiflex forks, I’ve done a fair bit of research and have never seen one in this amazing blue colour.
I’m not planning on going full original on it, I’ve already started cleaning up the campy cranks and have found a nice old campy rear mech just to get it looking 'cool'.

My main dilemma is what to do with the paintwork. I’ve attached some images and as you can see where it’s good (very few places) it’s good. But it’s been hit by the rust monster big time.
Should I get it re sprayed or not? Most if not all of the original decals are intact and can’t imagine I can get them again? I’ve spoken to Rourke bikes who said they can re spray and have some decals but waiting to hear back to confrim what they can and can't, anyone else to try?

Would you leave it, or get it re sprayed? Do you have any tricks on knocking back the rust and not effecting the paint too much?

oh finally the frame number is 15919. i found one site that has a few dates but not this. i guess around 1951/2?

cheers in advance!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_5437.jpg
    IMG_5437.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_5439.jpg
    IMG_5439.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_5443.jpg
    IMG_5443.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_5445.jpg
    IMG_5445.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_5449.jpg
    IMG_5449.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 675
Re:

Cheers.
Would you use a rust remover then try to match the paint to ‘patch it over’ or just keep the rust at bay?

I have a similar condition frame! It's similarly on the cusp between too good to repaint and scruffy.

I gave mine a thorough wash, then revived the paint with T-cut and lightly removed the bubbling paint using a car stone chip repair kit. The rust was stopped with the rust eater stuff for cars. Then I touched up the worst bits with a near-match car touch up stick (Toyota blue!) After all that I gave a coat of car wax.

In my opinion, for this frame, as long as decals are original and in very good condition, some rust removal and overall polishing and you have a very very nice vintage patina, that is (to me) what makes the difference ;)

Re:

Thanks people. I’ve ordered some barkeepers friend to try on the rust patches as I’ve read on a few stirs that’s pretty good. I’ll get some T cut as well and give that a whirl.
Just need to try match the paint.

As Haitch ^ says, a lot of that looks like staining. T-cut lightly and then go over it with a nice oily rag and it'll regain all of its charm.

Cut & polish first port of call then you can decide. Get some top tube cable clips for the brake cable to tidy it up. Nice frame though :)

Back