Advice on building a Pinarello Sestriere

jordic1968

Retro Guru
I'd love to own a De Rosa, but it seems only Pinarellos come to me...
Just bought today a Pinarello sestriere frame from the early 90's in my size. For sure to be stripped and re-painted, and I have a first gen Shamal's ready for it.

But not sure about color scheme and group set, any advice ? Originally it came with Campy chorus I believe but I'd like to give a try with something newer and more rideable this time ...

Attachments

• 20171202_171613.jpg
    20171202_171613.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 846
Thanks gents,

I already paper sanded the fork, ready for some black paint & lacker showing some carbon fibers... yeah, not really oldie ;) I'll do it myself, let's see...

Options for the frame are indeed either black , dark blue (just to remind its origins, but sorry don't like the original sestriere blue), or the most likely one, to leave it at the bare metal. That will depend on how I find the tubes after stripping the paint off. There are anyhow some spray.bike spays that can do the trick but never tried myself.

For the groupset it's getting clear I 'd like to go for a neo-retro build with a modern 10 speed. I know some of you will stop reading here as it is getting some how out of the retro-road discussion but after 2 "vintage" Pinarello's I need something to ride more confortably -I'd like to try with compact chainrings- and not always having to look the rear wheel of all newer bikes I found on the road ...

As long as I do not have any 10speed or modern material, I've started to count $$ and realized need to post some stuff on ebay first ! I'll keep posting here as I progress if you do not mind, or is there any "neo-retro" specific topic ?

Here it is now, paint stripped and painted in white.

The latest idea was to replicate some kind of Pegoretti art bike... but I've had no luck finding a local&cheap artist willing to put some nice contemporary art on it ;( I really find it very very interesting that idea. Pegoretti is the boss ;)

So likely will go just with a few stickers. Now deciding / sorting the groupset and wheels. I'm going with Shimano as I really like the shifting mecanism a lot more than campy, sorry if I offend any campagnolo enthusiast!... We'll see.

Attachments

• 20171227_105807.jpg
    20171227_105807.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 582
Back