Sheffield Langsett - appreciation thread

creindesign

Dirt Disciple
I acquired this wreck last summer - mainly bought it because of the Allez chain set and pedals.
Unfortunately the Allez parts were write-offs, but the frame felt pretty light and had good components.
Some scrubbing was needed :)

After some careful scraping remnants were found of the head and seat tube transfers, as well as the transfers on the down tube - it took me a while to decipher, but in the end I could make out "Smith" and "Shef....". Transfers on the downtube confirmed my suspicion that I found myself a Langsett...

I sold the chain set and pedals in the mean while and basically have the frame for free - good starting point for a rebuild.

Researching the history of Sheffield Langsett I discovered that they were well regarded in the Yorshire/Derbyshire area and had many wins in the 1950s.
But surprisingly there is hardly any info available in the public domain.
Classic Lightweights has 2 Sheffield Langsetts in the readers bike section, the VCC Library has 2 catalogues from 1956 and 1958. That's it basically.

If you have some stories to share about the store, your old Langsett, or own a Langsett - please share your knowledge, or even better pictures.

Many thanks in advance, Rogier

Attachments

• Langsett.jpg
    Langsett.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 1,326
There is an article on these frames in the "On Your Marques" section of the V-CCs News and Views #353 at p40 (Feb/March 2013) and a follow-up note in #355 p34

Cheers m8, that's very helpful - I have contacted Neil about my find last summer, and although he replied he hasn't given me any extra info yet. He also let me know he wasn't the ME anymore (I am not even sure if he is still a member of the VCC).

Ta, Rogier

When in the mid 50's I entered the senior ranks of the BLRC & did reasonably well & casting around for a different frame set ( Out grew the exegesis one )on training ride which were often through Matlock Bath & up in to the peak district I often used to meet up with 2/3lads from Bolsover Wheelers who rode Langsett's I rode from my home in Ilkeston to the shop & ordered a frame set It was 22" 531 tubes /stays /forks finished in white /green as the fixed gear bike featured in Classic Lightweights except just a green panel on the seat tube rather than the complete tube on completion I rode Ilkeston /Sheffield & return with the new frame strapped to my back with bits of cloth at the frame /back contact points Bits were Stronglight cotterless Cset & Simplex F&R gears Fiamme sprint rims on Harden hubs It was a nice bike but was unfortunately stolen whilst serving in the RAF

Re: Langsett frame

I've recently bought an original orange 1950's Langsett, previously owned by a gent with the surname of Forest. He raced it back in the 50's, 60's. Currently collecting parts to get it back on the road in unrestored condition. Will post photo's if anyone is interested.

Re: Langsett frame

Langsett1":13e4dls8 said:
I've recently bought an original orange 1950's Langsett, previously owned by a gent with the surname of Forest. He raced it back in the 50's, 60's. Currently collecting parts to get it back on the road in unrestored condition. Will post photo's if anyone is interested.

Of course we are!

Re:

Got it wrong: the previous owner was Lol Dodds, a well known local (Sheffield) racer, it's believed sponsored by Langsett.

Re: Re:

Langsett1":2ccdtdue said:
Got it wrong: the previous owner was Lol Dodds, a well known local (Sheffield) racer, it's believed sponsored by Langsett.

Lol Dodds was Dave Dungworth's (25 mile record holder and multiple national TT champion etc., member of the Rutland CC in Sheffield) coach. I doubt he was actually sponsored (officially anyway) 'cos that sort of thing was frowned upon by officialdom. Very interesting link. I suspect that one of our Sheffield regulars will be along shortly with some more info.

Re:

I did hear of lol Dodds be being a prolific hill climb champ, probably in the inter war years. I did meet him a couple of times, I would have been in my 20s and he maybe in his 70s. As I recall, he was Sheffield Phoenix. I once met him in a bar in Majorca as a group. We'd all had a few beers and he was really funny, life and soul of the party type fella

Re:

I bought the bike from a guy I ride with called Jim (Jimmy) Forest. Also a Phoenix member, he is Lol's grandson. I'll pass on the messages. I'll also get some photo's posted.....

Back