Bent crank help

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Hello forumers

I took a bit of a spill on my tourer earlier today and came down with my full weight on the bike while it skidded along the ground managing to bend my non drive side crank and batter my rear mudguard in the process, I'm not so worried about the mudguard, it's the crank that's worrying me. I now can't turn the cranks for the non drive one is now hitting the stay. I've checked to make sure nothing else is bent and it all seem to be in order. I know I'll need to replace the crankset and was hoping someone on here could suggest what's best to do.

I've looked around the net and can't seem to find one that's similar to what's on my bike, is there an affordable modern alternative because it looks like all the new ones are for bikes with a 7 speed cassette and up while mine is a 6 speed freewheel, a 12 speed in total.

The bike's a 1989 Peugeot Camargue with an HLE tubeset so it's pretty sturdy, the cranks however are Stronglight 85s with 48T, 38T chainrings, it's pretty much a Sachs Huret drive chain pulling quite a lowish gearing setup, which I guess serves well for touring.

I guess these things happen, and are all part of the rough and smooth of being a cyclist. I would like to get the old banger back on the road as soon as I can as it's the bike I use most for lugging stuff around.

Thank you all

If it's 6 speed then it will work fine witha later crank. Ebay is a good starting point, any 7 speed one will be OK.

Re:

mdvineng":3k03j8d3 said:
http://www.hilarystone.com/cranksetStronglight.html

I'd already looked on Hilary's site! Not the best way to go, odd coloured cranks, hasn't got the OP chainring sizes, not that cheap [STRONGLIGHT IMPACT COMPACT £64 plus it has the the wrong sized rings], plus it takes him ages & ages to reply.

Spa cycles is the best bet, thats if he wants a new part that is

Re:

Spa Cycles might be a good place to get a new crankset from, thanks for the link. I've taken the bent crank off it now but have yet to check the BB axle, it might be worth me swapping it out for a sealed one anyway.
Ahh I've checked the alignment using the string method as it might have been affected by the crash, the measurement reads as 32mm on the drive side and 34mm on the side I came down on (non drive) also looked at the wheel in the frame and it appears to jut out a bit more to one side behind the seat tube, not centrally behind it like I guess it should be, I'm going to check it again anyway. Strangely there was no brake rubbing or anything after I did it and I've got my brakes set very close to the rim, also plenty of space either side between the chain/bottom stays. Maybe the rear triangle was fractionally out already and I've not noticed due to the mudguards, I did buy the bike secondhand and it is nearly 30 years old and a tourer so it's probably seen some use. There's no dents on it and all the main tubes look straight.

I do have a slightly later Peugeot that's too big for me with biopace chainrings on (Shimano RX100 cranks I think, not sure what the teeth are on the rings (it's in storage at a friends) would I be able to take the crankset off that and put it on my Tourer? From memory I think it says use double narrow chain only which I'm guessing wouldn't work with the 6 speed block (freewheel)

Thanks

Re: Re:

onyerbike531":1gpm340f said:
I do have a slightly later Peugeot that's too big for me with biopace chainrings on (Shimano RX100 cranks I think, not sure what the teeth are on the rings (it's in storage at a friends) would I be able to take the crankset off that and put it on my Tourer? From memory I think it says use double narrow chain only which I'm guessing wouldn't work with the 6 speed block (freewheel)

Thanks

Yes, I believe you should be able to transfer the crankset from your 'too big' bike to your tourer no problem. Might have to swap in the bottom bracket too, depending on the spindle length.

Back