Graham Weigh titanium frame?

neilob

Retro Guru
In an impulsive moment last night I bought an interesting looking frame off eBay. It is a c1990 frame built by Graham Weigh from a pre-production Reynolds titanium tube set. It was allegedly one of a small batch built for a pro team including a certain Chris Boardman. I'm not entirely sure why I got it but I am looking forward to building it up and trying it. It would be really good if anyone could throw light on the frame history and whether Reynolds actually brought titanium tubes to market. Also some opinion on whether it is desirable or a waste of money at just north of £250. Pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,174
There was CP 2 Titanium tubing supplied by Raleigh for Reynolds in the early 90's.

Never seen it on a Weigh, though.

Graham never built a frame in his life, they were all bought in from a variety of builders over the years. Is the shop still open? Is Keith Jones still there? If so then possibly worth a 'phone call.

Re:

is the fork titanium? From the pic, it doesn't look shiney enough for chrome.

I'd strip the lot down to bare titanium ... just a personal opinion

Re:

Looks interesting and is that a seatpost fixing in the top tube? Seen that from a few NE England builders (Winter?), and have one on a Hardisty frame (steel).
Reynolds still make a titanium tubeset, or did until recently. Moots built with it.
Mat

Old Ned":oon2xfbg said:
Graham never built a frame in his life, they were all bought in from a variety of builders over the years. Is the shop still open? Is Keith Jones still there? If so then possibly worth a 'phone call.
As said GW never produced a frame set they were all out sourced ISTR that a batch of titanium frames were acquired again if IRC they were produced in Taiwan he sold some decent produced framesets one being MONDONICO but some bearing the GW decals could be qustionable seems hes still in business doing Dolan & his own badged frames he does a Dolan Titanium fframeset

Thanks for the info. I understood that the frames were supplied to a team and have seen a photo of Chris Boardman in Manchester Wheelers colours riding what appears to be a Weigh titanium. Anyone know of this?

neilob":24mmiqlh said:
Thanks for the info. I understood that the frames were supplied to a team and have seen a photo of Chris Boardman in Manchester Wheelers colours riding what appears to be a Weigh titanium. Anyone know of this?

I think Graham was involved with Team Clean but I've a feeling that their frames were red?

Re: Re:

MatBH5":2kd6wfdk said:
Seen that from a few NE England builders (Winter?)
Mat

I saw this on ebay and I thought NE builder aswell, Winter or Donohue?

FWIW I have built the frame up into a bike and took it on a 100km ride today. It was really comfy and handled well. I am not skilled enough to recognise the subtle qualities of titanium but it was still a very nice surprise. Now just what do I do with it?? I would love to know more history though.....

Back