Removing a 90’s Campag Chainset

fignonFlyer

Dirt Disciple
So, I’ve taken delivery of a bike with a 90’s Campag Chainset. It has a 7mm Allen bolt in the centre of a ring with 2 small holes either side.
The 7mm Allen key only turns a short way, so i’m guessing a special tool may be required.
My experience of Campag is very limited over and above 80’s Record/Super Record, been using Shimano ever since

Sounds like a self releasing bolt similar to shimano, keep undoing it and it will pull the crank off for you.

Hmm, I
The Allen key will move maybe half a turn, the hex hole looks a bit rounded, so not sure I’m going to get anything moving before the Allen key just spins around inside the hex hole

You could try an imperial size Allen key or a torx bit but to take off the cap use a pair of circlip pliers.

And the cap has a left hand thread, unscrews clockwise. It's so it doesn't inadvertently unscrew when undoing the crank bolt.

kingbling":2twgqe35 said:
Sounds like a self releasing bolt similar to shimano, keep undoing it and it will pull the crank off for you.
this
keep turning the allen key anticlockwise - it will be stiff, but should draw the crank off the axle ... unless its seized on, then it becomes a project

Back