retro bike market

retrocarlisle

Retro Newbie
hello all what is the market like out there, i have been looking in carlisle an can't find anyone rebuilding and selling bikes, thought about doing it in my spare time.
thanks
colin

Re:

Judging by how expensive it is as a hobby, I reckon its a challenging market in which to make money. If you can buy complete bikes, you can polish in a profit I think but you maybe need to factor in tyres, cables, bar tape etc.
Personally, I'd love a retro bike shop to visit.

opening a shop would be cool but way to £££ more thinking of slowly getting parts and frames and build bikes up
i was a bike tech for 15 years

There's Rebike in Carlisle but not sure how busy they are, there's the odd board by the roadside advertising themselves but not much else.....

Re:

I'm not sure but on here and most people I know, there is next to no market for full bikes.
That is you'll usually get less for it than the parts cost.

If you can get them for next to nothing and buy the cheapest chain, cables and tyre for it.
You may make some money.

Of course I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think there are many people willing to pay the price of someone's tart up of a bike.
Most would do it themselves.

Retro bikes is a hobby not a business opportunity for all but a very limited few.

I think you’d need some strong connections to buy up NOS stuff that does not become available to the main market.

Re: Re:

JSH":5ykoe2y0 said:
Personally, I'd love a retro bike shop to visit.

+1

A retro bike shop/cafe would be good. Showing re-runs of old bike races, and when you ask for coffee you get coffee, not the Spanish inquisition about what type? Warm milk? Soya milk? Sugar?
Just instant fcuking coffee! Jug of milk, help yourself! Sugar, too!

And BIG cake, too!

Obviously, beans on toast added to the menu for the cooler months, or porridge!

S*it, I've an idea for a new business adventure when I get a place. Different bikes ( mine ) on display each week. Nearly got enough for six months too! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

And maybe a spinning studio in the back for the days we are not drinking to much or when someone need to prove who is faster lol

oh yes we would serve beer not just coffee

retrocarlisle":1bq2kwm6 said:
And maybe a spinning studio in the back for the days we are not drinking to much or when someone need to prove who is faster lol

oh yes we would serve beer not just coffee

Of course, beer! And frites and mayonnaise for the spring classics! :cool:

Back