1949 FH Grubb....I hope.

JCKSHRMN

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

First time posting in the road section, normally a Retro MTB guy.

Bought this bike a couple of weeks ago and pretty chuffed with it, certainly going to enjoy the restoration, it certainly needs it!
Just want to pick people's brains about something.

It looks pretty original and if not, certainly all period parts. Set up as a track bike/single speed with what looks like original wheels.

The frame number is 3233 and matches the number on the forks, but there is another number stamped on the bottom bracket I dont understand. It reads:

'Brevet DEFF 34756'

Does this mean anything to anybody? Certainly doesnt match any of the other French style names the Freddie Grubb bikes were given in that era.

I know Holdsworth have a Brevet Frame and they took ownership of Freddie Grubb but that was a lot later than this era so doubt it would be linked?

Also have yet to find another bike with that style of quilled reynolds stem. Dont know if that makes a difference to identifying/dating it.

Just hoping somebody on here might have a bit more in depth knowledge than is currently on forums or other relevant sites.

And also wanting to put my mind at rest that this is actually an early FH Grubb and not something dressed up to be. Its going to be a very attractive bike either way. But nice to have the provenance to go along with it.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Attachments

• IMG_1139.PNG
    IMG_1139.PNG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,408
  • IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 1,406
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,407
  • IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,406
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,407
Re:

Hi, the ally badge points to a post war Grubb, pre Holdsworth, but the serial number is not 100%, I have seen a 1950 perfection model and that was in the 2300's and on the bottom bracket, so we can assume this may be a transition model, which I think it is, it is a southern cross model which is in the Holdsworth Grubb 1953 catalogue, so the grubb badge was probably used because they were in stock, the bottom bracket was probably again leftover stock, french ? Just some thoughts, I hope this helps. Terry

Re:

That's incredibly helpful thank you. Hadn't looked that late because I was going on the fact that the decals and headbage matched the 49-51 frames but after looking at the 53 catalogue the frame seems to match the look of the 53 southern cross. And like you say, frame number looks a lot later. Thanks a lot! Nice to know I've got something a bit different with a mongrel of a bike.

I knew this one would turn up here sometime! So, you're the fellow who won the auction...... :)

Re:

I am indeed :) were you also bidding or a previous owner? I did wander if it would be anybody on here. Did you get to see it in the flesh? It is coming along nicely! Bar the wheels, everything else should be able to be kept original.

Never saw it in the flesh, only on the web. but there is a funny/ironic aspect to it. In the auction it was initially listed as an afterthought in a joint lot with an old ladies' bike ("vintage ladies' bike plus gents' racer). You could barely see the cycle in the photo, as the ladies' bike was foreground and centre, but because I could just about make out the brake lever and bars, I phoned the auction house, and got them to wipe the cycle down and describe various bits of the cycle to me. I must have made it obvious that it was too good to be part of a cheap joblot, because a couple of hours after I had helped identify the cycle, the auction was amended and it was listed on its own, with photos and a fulsome description that everyone could see! I think I shot myself in the foot..... :)

Re:

Yeh I was watching it as soon as it was listed and went down to see it the day before the auction (I only live 10 mins from the auction house) I spent about 30/40 minutes looking over it and realised it was something a bit more special than they were making out. I only noticed when I was bidding the morning of auction it had been separated, I'm sure the interest from both of us didn't help us. It'll get a sympathetic restoration and then it'll be available to buy!

Re:

I have only just spotted this. This is really interesting since the down tube decal that you have photographed has confirmed that there is at least one other frame with this design. Close examination reveals it to match that on my 1950 Grubb Perfection - which in a way is curious as your frame was made after the Holdsworth 'take over' albeit very early afterwards. If you look on here for my thread 'F H GRUBB FRAME DECALS' you will find pictures of an original decal like yours (in red) and the newly recreated design which is now available from H Lloyd. I am sure that Steve at H Lloyd would be happy to make some in Blue/Gold for you if you wished to faithfully reproduce the originals.

Re:

Thank you very much for your reply, I wasn't actually planning on adding decals to the new bike, although whoever ends up owning it may want to. It has its head badge and serial numbers for provenance. It has been painted and put back together and is nearly finished. Will be up for sale this week some time. Although it isn't a purists reproduction restoration it looks stunning and was able to use 90% original parts, the spokes were crumbling in my hand but the hubs and rims are definitely useable if somebody wanted to rebuild them. So apart from new wheels and tyres it is a lovely 1950s rebuild. Hoping somebody may want it before Christmas! Full spec to follow

Attachments

• IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 1,086
Back