Copper Jewel

ourmanflint

Dirt Disciple
Had a delivery this morning & seeing as my previous thread was hijacked, I have decided to hang the Gios on the wall for a while until I get the urge to start it again

Anyway...

Attachments

• IMG_5386.JPG
    IMG_5386.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 860
Had a good look at the frame over the weekend, and it's a beauty!! Needs some restoration though, but this will be done tastefully, so spot retouching scratches etc with a suitable tinted coating.

Lots of pics here https://imgur.com/a/d2iCL

Midlife":12aubjxo said:
Chromovelato :). Great finish but a bit fragile at times...

Yeah, lots of UV damage on top tube and fork fronts, colour elsewhere is pretty good though.

Any idea what type of lacquer they would have used circa 1981?

Way back in the dim and distant past the technique was used by Carlton and called Acrillichrome, which I hope I have spelt right lol

I guess Carlton used coloured acrylic lacquer?

1981 Frame

RtYp8zE.jpg

tT7x2gD.jpg

ZV2SZWc.jpg

I'm going to spot restore all the scratches using liquid mask and tinted clearcoat. Hopefully I'll find someone to supply me a color matched acrylic lacquer that I can apply using a small airbrush.
When that's done, I'll look at re-chroming the large area on top tube if possible, I imagine that is going to be the only hard bit, so may have to get someone else to do it for me.
Groupset wise, I want to make it rideable, so Dura Ace 7200 & Simplex shifters, which were supposed to be the best in the day. The only thing I'm not quite sure of is which rims to build the wheels with, I have a set of NOS GP4's but not sure how grey will look

Back