Replacing a Helicomatic Hub with 126mm spacing

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Dear cyclists

I've come back here with a question about a rear hub fitted to my 1984 Peugeot racer. The current one is a failing Helicomatic which has been nothing but trouble ever since I bought the secondhand bike. I've repacked it countless times and it seems to go bad after every ride, the cups and cones have gone bad in it and are now making a grinding noise after being repacked even before being ridden on.
I want to replace the hub with a more conventional one, I don't really want to have to get the rear re spaced and so I'm looking at 126mm ones, all the modern ones seem to be 130mm and up spacing wise and all take 8 speed cassettes and bigger.
I'd like to get something similar to what's on my late eighties Peugeot tourer, that being a Maillard hub with a threaded 6 speed freewheel. I've tried ordering a modern alternative in the form of a Dia-Compe ENE high flange touring hub, (that's the only one I could find that's 126mm) but the company who sells them who shall remain nameless haven't sent it and keep on putting the delivery date back, needless to say I've asked for a refund.
Anyway can anyone recommend a 6speed 126mm hub which won't bankrupt me, or has anyone got any ideas about what I can do? am I on the right track looking for NOS on eBay etc?

My 12 speed transmission is perfect for me, and when it works it's a very quick bike even when I've loaded up as a light tourer, I just want to get it running again.

I should also add that I have a threaded hub off a knackered old bike I junked for parts, that's a 5 speed threaded Maillard dated 1980, could it accommodate a compact 6 speed freewheel of that era?

Please help

Many thanks fellow roadies

6 speed of that era was generally a 'compact 6' which fitted in the space of a 5 and had the cog spacing of the later 7 (5.0mm).

It's best to go with a cassette hub, the resulting axle is much stronger, which will suit you for touring. A 7 speed hub sounds ideal.

Buy any secondhand 7 speed hub, cut down the axle by 4mm on the left and fit fewer spacers on the left - job done.

The Maillard will do the job , you could always change the axle if its too short and space that to 126 and it will be a bonus if the spoke hole count is the same for both hubs as you can use the original rim. Thats not necessarily the cheapest option if you can't build your own wheels and you can't reuse the spokes.
Cheaper options come up but this is collection only and You really need to know the hub is good.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-MA2-700 ... SwUrdZdiw6

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The Maillard will do the job
Just to make this crystal clear- afaik there are no such things as '5-speed hubs' and '6-speed hubs'. Whether it carries a 5-speed block or a 6-speed block, (even a 'non-compact' one) the part of the hub that revolves around the axle is dimensionally identical. The only difference between a so-called '5-speed hub' and a so-called '6-speed hub' is that the '6-speed hub' simply has a longer axle (by about 6mm) and an extra spacer.
I have no practical exposure to Helicomatic hubs, but I'd guess that you could salvage the axle (if straight) and QR skewer from the Helicomatic and straight swap it into the other Maillard. But yeah.. then you've got to build a wheel around it...

Re:

I've got several 36 hole cassette hubs some new some s/h.Or a s/h Velo Orange screw on hub that is 126mm, cartridge bearings vgc but 32 hole. Also plenty of odd rims if you wanted a complete wheel. PM ne an email add if you want pics as I can no longer get them on here with my new better phone.jm.

Re:

Thanks for you replies, I might see how I go with the Maillard one I've got as it is 36 holes to match the current rim, will look into changing the axle if it's not 126mm and do that thing with the spacers; I think it'll need a bit of a service before I get it built up into a wheel, I will get back to you JM if I have no luck if that's alright with you.

I've had a look at those websites, might have to try Hilary Stones and get a 6 speed Maillard freewheel from there, really want to try and get the same gear t ratio as what's on the helicomatic as that's perfect for getting up to a good speed.

Back