Pinarello Montello SLX **now painted**

JSH

rBotM Winner
I picked up a frame in the spring and its been sitting unloved in the garage whilst I considered what to do with it. It had been completely stripped and the chrome is flawless (full fork and rear triangle). It was originally a spumoni finish - mainly white with yellow, red and blue fade.

Everytime I think of it, I change my mind on colour scheme. It's a late 80s or early 90s frame (2 sets of bottle bosses and 130mm OLN). I've narrowed it down to:

A. Replicate the original spumoni
B. Solid red with white pantos
C. Banesto team colours
D. Pearlescent white with red decals and pantos

help me out here.

Re:

Pulling a chair up. I did the same a few years back with a shed of a Montello that also originally had the spumoni colour way. I had a full resto done in dark metallic graphite wich made the chrome and white decals look amazing. Anyhow, if I had my time again I'd refurb to original and re-do the spumoni. It's a colour way that was unique, of it's time and as a result is super cool. :cool:. PM me if you want any advice on painters as ive done loads of refurbs in the past. :D

Re:

Sounds interesting, got any photos of how it is now, mister?

Mike

Re: Pinarello Montello SLX

this gets my vote :D

Attachments

• 6893701242_11303d2446_c.jpg
    6893701242_11303d2446_c.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,654

I’ve gone for.....

Pearl white with red decals and Panto - sorry everyone!

Next question is what to build it with. I am wrestling with either Campag Record Titanium 9 speed - I have a complete groupset and wheels in near mint condition I also have a Dura Ace 7400 group that I’ve been collecting, mostly NOS 7 speed

Montello":3lrhax4i said:
carlrh":3lrhax4i said:
this gets my vote :D

That paint is wrong if it is an attempt to recreate the original. The colours were much softer.

See.

************************/images/montell ... G_0002.PNG

My frame came to me completely stripped. The only reason I know it is Spumoni is the traces inside the seat tube, head tube and a slight bit of colour in the GPT raised panto on the BB shell. There is no other trace of colour so I think that residue is the original paint.

They are not pastel shades though.

Montello":1j5cq2tm said:
JSH":1j5cq2tm said:
I’ve gone for.....

Pearl white with red decals and Panto - sorry everyone!

Next question is what to build it with. I am wrestling with either Campag Record Titanium 9 speed - I have a complete groupset and wheels in near mint condition I also have a Dura Ace 7400 group that I’ve been collecting, mostly NOS 7 speed

Some references here, has to be Campagnolo.

************************/pinarello/brochures.shtml

I’ve read all of your site - very useful and also saw your red one at EB2015 which is probably why I fancied one.

I’m not sure what the build year is to be honest - just that it’s a later one.

I want to build something I will ride on fine days rather than a wall hanger, so it will likely be the Record Ti 9 speed. The only thing I will need to change are the rims as these are currently a Mavic CPX30. I’ve bought some Campag Omega 19 clinchers in NOS

Back