Early racing tt bike !?

Tooldtobebold

Dirt Disciple
Hi I am looking for a early 1950s racing bike to race on next year mainly 10 tt looking for something light with close clearance and stiff any ideas off what to look out for ?

Re: midlife

Not really sure what would be best i was looking at a friends early carlton flyer that seems to be quite modern in geometry !? But i don't really have a clue open to advice !?

When I was TT,ing in the 70's it was pretty much organised and we had the RTTC (I think that's what it was called) to oversee it. People rode TT bikes if they had the cash and had done since the 60's Step back a few years to the 40-50's and the older riders told me of "testing" which was the same as time trialling but not quite sure how well it was organised. "Testers" just seemed to don an alpaca jacket and use their ordinary bikes :)

Massed start racing was probably more prevalent ?

Hens I'm not sure if you would get a TT bike from that era, would likely be fixed gear :)

Road/path machines from the 40s/50s would fit the bill.
Not close clearances like 70s/80s machines, enough room to fit mudguards was a must ;)
These were usually do-it-all machines, for a TT mudguards and brakes were removed - sometimes wheel carriers to bring a set of sprints for the race.

Re: velo6

I have not really thought about this properly i still like the idea of doing a tt on a early bike to see what sort of time i can do

On Club Rides (Hull Thursday Road Club) Vic Smith used to turn up on some real wrecks and still do the business lol.

Would be easier to find some 60-70's stuff...

Re: midlife

I like the idea of that but these days are sadly gone i have never had the money for a tt bike so done all my tts on a road bike not done to bad but getting past it now ! So looking for a bit of fun for next year!

The idea of a TT specific bike didn't exist in the Fifties and you can forget about "light with close clearance and stiff".

A 531 frame with drops and fixed will give you an idea of what it was like.

Come forward twenty years or so and you start to see more specific adaptations, which largely meant drilling holes in everything1

Back