Can anyone date this frame?

rche7k

Retro Newbie
I have a Rory O'Brien Championship frame that (according to the transfers) was renovated by Frank Lipscombe. It would have been made sometime between 1948 and 1969. Looking for suggestions from anyone who can narrow down the year based on features on the frame - e.g. grease nipple on bottom bracket, no braze-on for shifters, etc. Renovation makes it tricky since I have no idea what was added then vs being part of the original build. Suggestions anyone :?:

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 891
  • Head tube.jpg
    Head tube.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 891
  • Seat lug.jpg
    Seat lug.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 891
  • BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 891
When did Campag rear dropouts appear? The presence of them along with the grease nipple, dynamo bracket and lamp boss on the forks jars ever so slightly with me. Perhaps the rear dropouts were replaced when the frame was renovated?

Hi Nonowt and Old Ned, Thanks for replying. I saw the same info on Classic Lightweights and a couple of folks have confirmed that Les Ephgrave built the Championship frames for Rory. I have also confirmed that the "Renovated by" transfers were not used after Frank Lipscombe sold his business in 1970 and he didn't build much after the mid 60s. So renovation was pre-1970, most likely early to mid-60s.

I'll try and find out when camping drop-outs were used. The brazing on the dynamo bracket is not as clean as the rest of the frame so I'm thinking that may have been added later. The frame number on the forks matches the bottom bracket so they would seem to be the original forks.

Velo-Retro.com has a timeline that states the forged dropout with integral Gran Sport derailleur hanger was introduced in 1951 but the spring hole was added in 1952. CampyOnly.com has a 1953 Campagnolo catalog that includes the 1010 dropout for the Gran Sport group set that appears to be the same as mine. So the dropouts on this frame are no earlier than 1952/53.

Thanks to Old Ned for the clue.

Re: Re:

Boscarn":aebryb5y said:
Have a look at this post, the frame is very similar viewtopic.php?f=23&t=302357

Thanks for the link. That's a beautiful bike and looks like the same lugs. Interesting it has braze-ons for the shifters but not for the rear brake. Makes me think mine is mid-late 50s due to absence of the shifter braze-ons and perhaps my cable braze-ons were added later.

Just noticed the very intriguing thin 'full wrap over' seat stay design. That could identify the builder to some one who knows. Never seen it before myself.

EDIT - I must have done at some time as I've read the Classic Lightweights section as linked below! :facepalm:

Back