Wheel axle - how much should be in the forks.

Re:

Somewhere between half of the drop out width to under the full width. As you clamp it compresses and hold everything in place.
Have too much and it pops out the end too much that the q/r cannot clamp down to the frame.

I think the answer is ~5.5mm at the rear, ~4mm at the front

(Standard 'retro' 135 Rear spacing have a 146mm rear axle length, 100mm front have a 108mm axle length)

Thanks,I'll need to get measuring.

Can you tell by eye if these look Uber short to you?

I'm starting to suspect the fella just chucked them to up his chances of getting the bike sold.

Cheers

Shouldn't the solid axle fill the whole width of the dropout or am I having an old git moment ? Or is it a setup for either solid or hollow axle? Either way the domed nuts will hold the wheels in even without lawyers lips LOL

Yeah that's what I thought as well,I know the qr will compress the forks but it just seems odd to me.

Midlife":2jy9ul2l said:
Shouldn't the solid axle fill the whole width of the dropout or am I having an old git moment ? Or is it a setup for either solid or hollow axle? Either way the domed nuts will hold the wheels in even without lawyers lips LOL

There is no solid axle, there is the axle and a skewer through it without the end nut on.
The axle just needs to be somewhere within the dropout and not protruding.

Re:

Looks iffy to me, is the threaded part of the axle 9mm across? Or is the gap in the drop outs massive like a 14mm bmx? AFAIC axle should fill across the gap in the drop out.

I measured the drop outs,not sure if I did it right.

Measured on the outside of the forks

Rear 134 mm
Front 100mm

What's my options here if it's unsafe? Can I replace it with a solid axle?

I'll need to measure the gap in the drop outs.

Also just noticed the front wheel ain't true!

Last time I purchase off gumtree,my knowledge just isn't good enough to know when I'm getting screwed or not.

Latest posts

Back