Aend'e TT , Alan "pongo" braithwaite

scooter

Retro Guru
Hi all ,
I recently picked up this TT bike , not knowing what the frame was until I rubbed away some of the paint .
There's a fair bit of info on Alan braithwaite and the Aend'e name , also a flicker tribute group which Ive added mine to .

https://flickr.com/photos/157835916@N05 ... 4255070902

Been informed by a member that it's a Holdsworth chronometro?
The frame weighs 1799g and the forks 707g

Any info on this would be much appreciated, I'm planning on restoration and will replace the saddle, seat pin, bars , Pedals, levers & Calipers at the mo.

Cheers , scooter.

Never seen an Aende TT with a chainstay bridge and a frame number. fork rake starts a little low down perhaps. Ken Bird frames came drilled like Pongo's at times.

Re:

Never seen a Ken Bird with lugs drilled as extensively as this, and it does lack a key Bird feature. Drilled lugs were often the signature of many south east based builders...Roberts, Ron Cooper and many others: but your frame is not a Roberts, nor a Cooper nor do I think it is a Bird (Ken, by the way was not a builder).

Rk.

Re:

That is about the most comprehensive photo documentation of a frame/bike that I've seen in a long time.. Thanks.
Seems almost a shame to (re)paint over such workmanship, doesn't it?
I guess the number could be interpreted as 'the thirteenth frame of 1975', which is interesting to me as I have the same thing from another (mystery) builder. Have you checked the fork steerer for a number?

Any thoughts on frame material, or how you can tell?
I don't recall what year Aende started. If it is a 1975 frame I guess the default material is 531db, until proven otherwise- (Columbus, Vitus, Ishiwata) If it is, as it looks to be, brazed (brass) rather than silver-soldered, then it is not 753.

Btw- That is not supposed to be an apostrophe in 'Aende', it is supposed to be an acute accent over the final 'E' ;)

It was reputed that he didn't number frames :)

Frames from Ken's shop could come pretty slided and diced LOL

Ken-Bird-slotted-TT.jpg

Midlife":2yzjjzmo said:
It was reputed that he didn't number frames :)

Frames from Ken's shop could come pretty slided and diced LOL

Ken-Bird-slotted-TT.jpg

One of Hilary Stone's (from a while back I'd guess), builder may have been Alec Bird, who's still around.

Rk.

Latest posts

Back