Which Claud is my Claud?

Dillo27

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone, this is my first post!
I am trying to find out what model ( :eek: and from when) my renovated Claud Butler frameset is.

The serial number on the BB and fork steerer are a match and read; 11998. There are letters beneath the fork steerer serial number; C-B

There is an oil cap thingy on the BB top and the rear brake bridge is curved.
The lugs are quite plain, there are braze-ons for an 18 inch pump on the underside of the top tube.
Bottom bracket reads Nervex plus some obscure numbers.
Any thoughts?

Re:

Okay, here are some pics
... I think!

Attachments

• claud piccies4.jpg
    claud piccies4.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,142
  • Claud piccies5.jpg
    Claud piccies5.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 1,142
  • Claud piccies6.jpg
    Claud piccies6.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 1,142
Very nice :). Looks my era which is late 60's to 70's, can't help with the name at the moment but seems to have had a nice respray. Does it have an oil filler opposite to the gear cable braze on?

Yes its quite a tasteful colour choice for the respray. Looking at the steerer column, it appears to have been originally a slightly lighter shade of red, mettalic also.

Going off your estimated timescale, Midlife, I had a browse and have found a very similar looking bike with that metallic/pearl shade of red I mentioned.
It is a Claud Butler Electron Super Five. Does that sound likely?

The lugwork and fork crowns look the same. Not enough pics to be sure though.

The oil port will take it before my time as by the 70's they had essentially disappeared. CB used the name Electron on various bikes and frames for quite a few years so there will be quite a few variants.

Back