Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:04 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Joe Waugh
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:57 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi there,

I picked up some 531 built frames a while ago and have one on the road although it isn't finished, and half the components for the other. All is going well but I have one question about the frames that I wanted to throw onto the forum.

I was ambling home one evening when I was overtaken by a man with some nice white tires. I caught him up to enquire where he got them. He was riding a Joe Waugh fixie conversion. On closer inspection and discussion we noticed my frame was constructed of the same material (531 Competition) and had very similar construction and lugging to his Joe Waugh. He suggested my frame might be Joe Waugh that has seen a respray somewhere down the line.

Does anyone know if there is any way to find out whether this is the case? If there was some way to know it would be awesome to restore the frame to it's original state with some decals.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 am 

Joe Waugh's association with M Steel cycles (1894-2005) from Gosforth is the obvious link, you may have to chase the internet links to find a Spec sheet somewhere, otherwise i don't know of any distinctive frame numbering or 'secret' feature that shows a Waugh frame from another 531.