Help on Whitfield Bicycle made in Furneax Pelham

Bassett Feeder

Retro Newbie
Long time reader but a first time posting so please be gentle with me!

After a long time I have come in to possession of a beautiful Whitfield Bicycle. The search for my dream machine came after I read an old article in Bicycle Magazine about a one man operation based in Pelham Felham, Hertfordhire which is just a few miles from me.

The frame builder was a man called John Weatheritt who worked in a workshop in his back garden producing built to order bicycles.

Recently I saw a Whitfield bicycle advertised on E bay. The photo's were a little vague and it was advertised as a Whitfield Raleigh as the seller was unsure of what he had.

Taking the plunge and and gambling I paid the buy it now price and hoped that due the bicycle being local to Furneax Pelham it maybe the bicycle I had been looking for. Happily the gamble paid off and it turned out to be the bicycle I hoped it would be.

The general Specs are :

23" silver soldered frame
Campagnolo Headset / seat post / hubs
Simplex SLJ 6600 rear / front derailleur / down-tube levers
TA Chainset

I will try to post some Photo's on to the site but it keeps telling me that they are too big!

I am hoping there is someone with any more information on this Marque of bicycle as there is so little on the internet. Please any nformation about John Weatheritt or Whitfield bicycles would be most welcome.

Regards,

Ian

Hopefully these pictures will attach!

Attachments

• BF Whitfield.jpg
    BF Whitfield.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 644
  • BF Article.jpg
    BF Article.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 646
  • BF Emblem.jpg
    BF Emblem.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 646
  • Bf Headset.jpg
    Bf Headset.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 646
  • BF Seat post.jpg
    BF Seat post.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 646
  • bf front brake.jpg
    bf front brake.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 644
Re:

Hi Ian, that's a nice looking machine. I have seen a few references to John Weatheritt and Whitfield cycles in the Veteran Cycle Club magazine over the past few years (including an obituary in 2014) but I suspect that they contain little information that you do not already have. However, I noticed in the latest edition of News and Views, the V-CC magazine, that a 'Marque Enthusiast' has been appointed for Whitfield Cycles. The role of the ME is to collect and collate information about their marque and act as a point of contact for V-CC members with that specific interest. This is a service provided to V-CC members so you will need to join in order to take advantage of this, but membership is good value and well worth considering if you have an interest in classic, or at least old, bicycles. I will see what info I can turn up in the mags that I have and drop you a line.

Re:

John Weatheritt's obit from N&V below. It notes that he only built 100 frames so it's a pretty rare bike that you have there.

With tremendous personal sadness I am reporting the passing of John Weatheritt on 13th February 2014. John built 100 frames with great care between 1980 and 1989 at his workshop in Furneux Pelham, Hertfordshire before moving to the Scottish Borders. As a cycle frame-builder, he used the family crest and family name,Whitfield (to avoid the question ‘Weatheritt was any good or not’). John was an engineer of great skill and his interests were also spread into vintage motorbikes and cars as well as water-borne craft. His work was always understated but cherished – those proud enough to own a Whitfield Lightweight have had, no doubt, many great times on two wheels. It is this pleasure that would have given John much satisfaction. I shall stop at this point as I really don’t think John would want me to be any more expansive than this short note.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will look at taking up a membership with the Vcc again as I was a member several years ago.
Everything about the bicycle I have screams understated quality and having owned a few mass produced bicycles the Whitfield stands out.
The choice of components on the bicycle is interesting and it is set up as a tourer with a Ta chain set and the Simplex Prestige derailleur. It is one bicycle that will not be leaving me and a piece of local history. I will try to scan the article so it comes out a little clearer when I am back in the UK. Any further information is most gratefully received.

Regards,

Ian

Would be interested, like most here to hear a more if you could post something Richardcary.
I'm sure it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Jamie

Back