campagnolo matchbox front changer capacity?

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
After a rumage I found two nos simplex steel chain rings.
1/ A 44 tooth 5 pin outer that lines up with my William AB crank arm
2/ A 28 tooth 3 pin inner that marries up with the outer ring .
I have plenty of c/r bolts to try .

Does any one know if a Campagnolo match box front changer has the capacity to handle it {16 tooth drop} ?

I am off to bed :roll:

According to Velobase max difference is 11 teeth, even then that would be pushing it. BITD they appeared on front chainset with 46/48 chainrings. A whole 2 teeth difference up front lol

Im restoring a 1955 Carlton Corinthian using a 52/40 chainset, I'm going to try and sue one of these mechs, as its too nice to have hanging around the workshop.

I have a 1960 Flyer with one but the machine is stepped geared and had a difference of only of about 4 teeth...

Im going to give the other a try!!

Re:

Hmm
To big a difference I reakon .
As Shaun said couple of teeth even four,goes with my thinking as well. Going a differenterent route . :roll:
1950's, The Simplex tourist front changer{ juy 56 }I have, has a 24 teeth capacity .
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=simpl ... 94&bih=510

Also have a very old Simplex grand tourisme complete with its long spring.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=simpl ... elGUo3VMuM:
Both are unused {nos}They have been hiding in the shed for the last 10 years for the right moment.
Also have a pair of Simplex alloy down tube levers circa late 50's 60's i think
I can use the campagnolo f/r on the frame I do not currently own. :idea: :facepalm:

Re:

I use these front changers on a few bikes and they cope with a 12 tooth difference, no problem. The limiting factor is usually the rear mech, not the front one.

Im using a GS mech on the front and the back of my Corinthian build. Just going to go with it and see. Ill use a 22 at the back though...

Re:

Assembling the chainset over the weekend . Then rebuild the rear wheel from a double fixed to one that will take a free wheel.
will try to stick with the campagnolo for the Carlton.
Will just have to see if it will work . A 16 tooth drop is a long one . Using a steel gran sport at the back marked for a 28 sized f/w .
Several projects,some of which are long standing to try and finish...happy days :roll:

I use a GS with a 24 on the back, it shifts well enough, but not what I would call smooth. Better going down to the small sprocket than in the opposite direction.

Latest posts

Back