XXX extreme hot budget roadie car-boot sale action! Pt. 2

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, got the roadie bug again and have been sweating around the countryside on 'stuff' like the Norman Fay and the Bobbin Scout - neither of which has been that satisfactory when out with other 'roadies'. Sedate and sweaty.

Anyway, having been going to local car boots for decades, I was at the Pottespury one (near the Super Sausage), rooted round in a bag and spotted Shimano. Shimano indeed, the lady said '£4 for the whole carrier bag' and £4 carrier bagged me a whole heap of 10spd 105, new external bearings, calipers, chainset, cassette, even a chain - all neatly sorted and labelled. I dont think it was meant to be £4.

Soo, what could I attach this newly found swag to? I had an old 1979 Wes Mason hanging about looking a bit sorry for it self but no suitable forks. A few minutes on RB bagged a nice but small compact frame / fork combo but indeed it was too small. My mate Dan then came home with multiple boxes of 'stuff' that he'd collected from anther RB member looking to clear a bit of space. Dan kept what he wanted and I ended up with a huge box of bits for a token amount of £50. Ultegra, 105, all sorts but still nothing to attach them to.

Having a good rummage in the spares found some forgotten Saracen forks that I'd bought years ago. One pair fitted the Wes Mason - ta da! One retro-mod Ultegra / 105 road bike. Great! Total build cost about £54 with new tyres and bits.

But it was nice but not modern roadie fodder - was still not enjoying it as much as I thought I should be, cheap steel forks were not to blame sooooo...

At a car boot near Skegness, I came across a sorry looking Claud Butler 6061 Taiwanese thing with carbon forks in 59cm size - oh blessed be! £70 later and that afternoon, I created, I cleaned, I cursed but managed to fling together - a 2004 Claud Butler Roubaix for about £70 all in.

It has 105 mechs, Sora STi (8spd soon to be swapped for Tiagra 9spd), Formula hubs on Rigida rims and Vittoria Zaffiro Pro tyres. All for less than a couple of rounds of drinks or a meal out.

Anyway - still got the Mason and all its posh Ultegra and 10spd, but now I have something to try and keep up with the roadies - and it does, where the Mason is a bit lost on the climbs. the Butler keeps it together. Happy me!

Attachments

• butler1.jpg
    butler1.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 824
  • claud2.jpg
    claud2.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 824
Re: XXX extreme hot budget roadie car-boot sale action!

...and its back!

A neighbour brought it round, rusty and covered in dust after it sat in his garage for 3 years.

Some parts were swapped to his 'new' caravan mtb

Rear brake had rusted solid but a rootle around the spares tub and it now looks like this (just awaiting a chain) 3 years on from its car boot sale rescue

Attachments

• roubaix.jpg
    roubaix.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 327
Back