Simplex quick release wingnut nut doing what it's supposed..

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Hello fellow Retrobikers

I thought I'd come here with a bit of a problem I'm experiencing. I have an old Peugeot racer from the '80s where the plastic part of the wing nut on the wheel quick release has become detached from the metal part that tightens against the dropout and I can't budge it. The quick release lever on the other side works fine. Is there a solution to this problem that will help free it without damaging anything? The bit that screws onto the thread of the axle (the bit that's stuck) is smooth so therefore I have nothing to grip onto to budge it.

Has anyone experience this problem before?

Thanks cyclists.

I guess that's it's this bit that has broken?

$_35.JPG

Can't you just undo the quick release and take the wheel out? Then replace the nut or the skewer.

If the housing holding the qr lever is still tight on the frame dropout you can unbolt the qr lever and remove it from the cam to give a but more slack?

Re:

Is it possible someone has tightened the wheel by screwing the QR skewer in tight but with the lever in the unlocked position, instead of operating the lever?

The cam lever equalises the pressure both sides by means of the skewer, I don't see how one side is loose and the other tight unless the skewer is solidly rusted in the axle, whic I doubt.

Keith

Have you tried unscrewing the QR skewer so that it is loose and then tapping the lever end with a hammer?

Large mole grips end on set just so. You could wrap a strip of paper round the metal part of the qr first to stop a mark. then increase clamping pressure until it holds for you to turn it or from the other side.

Bit brutal but a stillson wrench is designed for gripping things in the round. Have you a neighbour who is a plumber? He will have one in the van

Back