Carlton clubman info

Stump28

Dirt Disciple
Anyone have any knowledge on the Carlton clubman or can point me in a good direction? Images and searches on google seem to come back to 2 kinds, frames with rolled over seat stays and frames without the roll over. Anyone know which predates the other? I've a frame with the rolled kind and other than the fact it has clubman on the top tube there's not a great deal of detail I can find about these frames.

Carlton used the name clubman for years, just as a 1970's Ford fiesta looks nothing like a Fiesta today the Clubman changed over the years.

I can think of at least 3 variants, the oldest having a wrap round seat stay which was strong and lightweight in its day.

Being a 70' child this is the one from my era

Carlton_catalogue_1977_V-_CC_Library.jpg

The eau de nil colour was quite fetching :)

Shaun

I knew there was at least the 2 variants from searches but didn't know there was 3 or so, the stumbling block I'm finding is finding any solid info on the production dates etc for them, I had a feeling the wrap seat stay might have been the earlier model but as to dates they were produced I have no idea. I've read the frames can be dated 70s to early 80s with the s/n begining with W however mine is all numbers which suggested either earlier or later possibly than those W produced frames.

Ah! There's a frame number :) any pics of it or what is it? I've come across some really nice Clubman's with neat Italian style lugs and wraparound stays from way back when.....

@pigman. As Basil Fawlty would say "it's fresh puke".

Shaun

Re:

Midlife, not the best image but all I have at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_8281.JPG
    IMG_8281.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 1,184
This is a mid 60s model. The frame number prefix later will help date.

This is a mid 60s model. The frame number prefix later will help date.

Yep nice 60's model :) could be 1968 ish when Carlton frame numbering went pants and the year letter prefix disappeared lol

Shaun

After a little digging I found a Carlton catalogue 68/69 featuring a dynamic clubman which I'm guessing is the model I've got, everything pretty much matches up. Also a frame number site which possibly puts it to 69 so late 60s sounds about right. Would have been nice to have kept it in original spec but unfortunately condition isn't going to allow so it'll be taking on a facelift

Back