Waterproof overshoes - recomendations

BigFoz

Retro Guru
My 5+ year old BBB aquashoes failed today - chucking it down up here this morning, had to drop car off and ride home, the zips were rusted solid. Trying to persuade them broke both zips. Now I need new overshoes. I'd quite happily get the same again, but also fancy the Castelli Diluvio (I have the gloves). Questions are
1. Anyone used the Castellis - reviews seem to be mixed?
2. Any other recommendations?

Ta

BigFoz":gfbpx8lh said:
My 5+ year old BBB aquashoes failed today - chucking it down up here this morning, had to drop car off and ride home, the zips were rusted solid. Trying to persuade them broke both zips. Now I need new overshoes. I'd quite happily get the same again, but also fancy the Castelli Diluvio (I have the gloves). Questions are
1. Anyone used the Castellis - reviews seem to be mixed?
2. Any other recommendations?

Ta

I guess you have the same problem I have, living in the far north with our harsh winter conditions. I think you've done well to get five years out of a set, I regard overshoes as an annual purchase as the zips just seize up and/or break.

I have considered the zipless type but from comments I've heard they are too much of a faff to get on and off - interested if anyone has other experiences.

I do think neoprene overshoes are in the top five cycling innovations of all time, but I do wish there was a really durable type suitable for those of us who regularly ride on heavily salted roads.

I have in the past used the cheapest of the cheap wetsuit socks and (neatly) cut a hole in the bottom. usually 3-5 mm neoprene and quite easy to get on (best to roll them on). But i used to ride past robin hood watersports a couple of times a month.

I did once buy a set of actual cycling branded ones, cost me 20 quid instead of 10. No zips, roll on, roll off.

As all these things, not massively waterproof (not ever found a properly waterproof overshoe) but kept my feet warm. Which is the main thing.

5 years out of a pair of overshoes is good going.
I'm happy with the Grip Grab neoprene overshoes I got last winter, still in great condition although I didn't use them all that much tbh.

:/ i moved to scandinavia. On the one hand it's very cold and quite often wet.

On the other hand i stopped mucking about with overshoes and bought some proper winter shoes. (4 pairs for the wife and i in the end, near enough £600.

But we have warm, dryish feet when the weather is less than ideal....... (-20 is about my limit)

mattr":1ybffq2c said:
:/ i moved to scandinavia. On the one hand it's very cold and quite often wet.

On the other hand i stopped mucking about with overshoes and bought some proper winter shoes. (4 pairs for the wife and i in the end, near enough £600.

But we have warm, dryish feet when the weather is less than ideal....... (-20 is about my limit)

I would do that if I could be certain these shoes keep your feet warm - the wondrous thing about neoprene is not that they stop your feet getting wet but they stop them getting cold. Do your super duper shoes work the same way? Those I have spoken to about winter shoes say they are fine up to a point, that being when the water finally gets through as inevitably it will. I'd certainly like not having to wrestle with overshoes though.

Depends really. They keep me warm even when wet until about -10. But if it's that cold, there generally isn't much water about. The issue tends to be starting in daylight (-5) then when it gets dark the temp drops (-15) you've already got water in there. So you get cold. Eventually. It takes an hour or so, even with water in there. Better than neoprene plus shoes plus warm socks. (The water doesn't leak out either, which is the main issue i find with neoprene overshoes)

So i got shoes a bit big and stick a pair of thin thermal socks and some sealskins on. Then it's good down to -20. No worries.

You can also get them on sale about this time of year.

Waterproof in winter I'd second the winter boots comment. Size up too and get some thick thermal socks too.

For summer I'm still looking. The Endura ones won't cook your feet but are only splash proof - prolonged exposure and they're no good.

Back