Feedback
View
I've acquired a pair of tubular
wheels. From the Campag Record
hubs, I'm guessing 80s, but it's
the NISI rims that intrigue me.

Made in Italy, alloy, appear light
and very well made. Something
different than Mavic, Wolber and not Ambrosio....

Anyone know anything about NISI rims, back storey, tit bits?

Although they are 36h, they look
race quality. Looks like they have
spent most of the time tucked away and should polish up nicely - no anodising :)

One of the many brands of sprint rims that used to be available on the market. We were spoiled for choice BITD. I think I had a pair of NISI on some wheels at some time or other, in fact, I may still have! An average quality, perhaps not quite as good as Mavic, but OK for general riding.

Some people may have a different opinion of course!

NISI are a sub-division of Gipiemme.

For old rims...Having seen and used a few over the years, they're light and reasonably good quality. They are however generally very narrow and low profile so can be quite flexy. I'd be avoid any less than 32 spokes and would prefer 36... so from that perspective you're doing well.

Planet X have currently have the Sludi 390 variant in black for sale at Open Pro money.

I built a silver pair of the current version 390 with ambrosio Zeniths last year. Max spoke tension is under 100 kg/f or you risk buckling the wheel when de-stressing. The front was easy, the rear was a total bitch and I don't expect a them to be a maintenance free wheelset.

Re:

Cheers chaps! I am quite amazed just how narrow the braking walls are.

How can I identify the model? Is
it on the engraving (admitidly I just glanced over the engraving without specs....first reaction was
similar engraving to Araya rims), or is there a catalogue scan about?

Re: Re:

Woz":2k0rkpy2 said:
Cheers chaps! I am quite amazed just how narrow the braking walls are.

How can I identify the model? Is
it on the engraving (admitidly I just glanced over the engraving without specs....first reaction was
similar engraving to Araya rims), or is there a catalogue scan about?

The model number should be on the etching or in some cases, it'll be a big sticker.

The braking walls should be no less than 1mm thick. Any less and the rims are deceased. A new rim will be 1.5-2mm as a minimum

The width between the walls will proabbaly be in the 14-16mm range.

Re:

Ah, ok thanks.

I ment to say braking track width (low profile?) rather than confusing it with rim wall thickness.

Ah...got you now. Sorry... l'd had too much Sauve Blanc last night to spot what you meant!

That dimension is usually referred to as depth, or occasionally height. All the Nisi rims I've seen are ultra low profile with very little height/depth.

The 390 clinchers I have are 13mm deep/high. First time I've used spokes over 300mm to build a wheel!

Re:

I built a pair of 28 hole onto Record hubs for a customer had to get 304's or longer can't remember and so flexy

Re:

I built a pair of 28 hole onto Record hubs for a customer had to get 304's or longer can't remember and so flexy.

Re:

Never apologise for having a little drop and thumbing the index cards of RB ;-) As fact would have it, I'm on my third cheeky claret after a cool G&T.

Anyhow, all input appreciated and
after a rummage in the attic the
engraving is Monchlieri, Torino, Italy. Is Monchlieri the model name then, or some hamlet in the area of Torino where a bod strived for hours wearing blue overals in 34c heat spinning magic in a shed whilst digesting some sumptuous antipasta?

Interesting that about the spokes, these have a 5 point star relieved logo which I've never seen before. Another Gipiemme off-spin?

Back