I Never Knew That They Made Them!!

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
"Bigger barrel" to shift 8spd? I shift 9 with std Nuovo Record DT levers. True the bottom gear actually has the lever just past parallel to the down tube, but it shifts and stays quite happily!

I think they were bigger because of the internals....I've got some but scared to take them apart lol. They get listed for silly money but never sell....

Shaun

Re:

Downtube levers were always awkward. Bigger barrels meant less lever pull and always looked aestheticaly better and it felt like a more efficient pull, but were more prone to slippage cos of the leverage.

Sun tour cyclones had a big barrel and felt good, but slipped. Dura-ace 72-series almost pulled back in line with the down tube but were solid.

The first proper reassuring down tube levers I had were 6400 tricolours, where everything was made to work and mesh. And they had cliuck-stops for each gear. No wonder shimano captured the world market.

Campag c-record was crap in comparison. My opinion only. My master ended up with a c-record group set with 6400 levers and rear mech cost it just worked.

Midlife":3vx6cybw said:
I think they were bigger because of the internals....I've got some but scared to take them apart lol. They get listed for silly money but never sell....

Shaun

I would have no idea how to take them apart, Shaun! I presume the retrofriction cartridge must have been pressed into the lever bodies.

Rather nice tho'!

Craig

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I run a 10spd Record triple on my main bike, with a Racing-T front and Comp Triple rear, with a 9 speed gear set. I think that while the appearance is Record, and the hierarchy was Record, the actual range was called Racing-T? Works beautifully whatever it's called. My "new" winter bike (1980 Carlton Clubman) runs same derailleurs, but with a Comp-Triple chainset (which was the Chorus equivalent I think), on Down Tube levers (Nuovo Record).

Re:

A nice set up but the link I posted was for a Corsa Record triple chainset - I've never seen such a thing before. One would have to imagine that Campag made a matching front and rear mech too . .

:D

Re: Re:

rusty bodie":xui6wz7k said:
A nice set up but the link I posted was for a Corsa Record triple chainset - I've never seen such a thing before. One would have to imagine that Campag made a matching front and rear mech too . .

:D
would reqular front mech with limit screws adjusted have worked?

I have run double front changers on triples for years without any issues, you just have to pick the right front mech, some will, some won't. Careful set up is a must though.

Back