Cycling footwear

sheggers

Old School Hero
I don't have clip in shoes on my road bike but equally not sure that my standard trainers are the best to cycle in - what do other retro-bikers adorn their feet with for long rides?

Are there any nice cycling orientated trainers out there for those of us who like pedals with just straps?

I've been using SPD for some 25 years and some of the shoes I've used have been worn whilst out clubbing - cycle to the club, boogie all night then wobble home about 6am.

But being a tighty arse these days, I've found my best pairs at carboot sales. A brand new pair of shimano SH-MT40 for £1.

There are plenty out there but moving away from spd raises the cleats giving you the cleat wobble and clack clack sound as you walk.

Re:

I have several pairs of shoes depending on what age of bike I'm riding - i.e clips & straps or clipless. If clipless I've been using Look pedals for 30 years, and have period Lake shoes that have survived the decades well, for traditional (clips & straps) I have either Reynolds or Diadora.

Bought a large box of assorted NoS shoes a while back that need sorting.

LGF, SPDs aren't roadies pedals !

Rk.

Re: Re:

roadking":ei5fxu4i said:
I have several pairs of shoes depending on what age of bike I'm riding - i.e clips & straps or clipless. If clipless I've been using Look pedals for 30 years, and have period Lake shoes that have survived the decades well, for traditional (clips & straps) I have either Reynolds or Diadora.

Rk.

Yes they blooomin will are! Cant stand the waddle of Look or those other daft pedals

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":dabrfdue said:
roadking":dabrfdue said:

Rk.

Yes they blooomin will are! Cant stand the waddle of Look or those other daft pedals

I'm with you on that! I do have some Look pedals and shoes but much prefer SPD, so much easier to clip into and walk in.

Re:

All my bikes now have spd mtb pedals. I'm not risking spilling a round of beers at the post ride pub stop, sliding around the beer garden on plastic skates.

By the way, I've not noticed a loss in cycling efficiency since I stopped using my look deltas

I've also got some northwave bike shoes that look like trainers with no plates that I use on the mtb with flat pedals (no clips or straps) for commuting, social or shoppig

mdvineng":11yz7btm said:
Exustar stelvio, with or without cleats.
How do they come out size wise?

I take bog standard, common all garden size 8 shoes, but have cycles shoes in many different sizes, which always makes buying shoes from on line traders a bit of a risky prospect.

Back