What's this holdsworth?

matteroftaste

Old School Hero
Hiya guys

Just acquired this holdsworth track frame. I'd love to know the model and year if at all possible. It's got an unusual seat tube diameter (26.2 by my calipers) but standard bb and headtube.
Here's some pics, number on bb shell is hard to make out.

https://imgur.com/a/c85ip

Any information is appreciated

Re:

Could be a Claud Butler Olympic or Freddy Grubb from mid 60's, both made by the Holdsworthy Company. Used Plain guage 531.

These were often used as winter transport. Good value around £10.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

Was wondering if it was an Olympic sport but compared to the Claud butler pictures I can find the rear brake bridge is different.
The paint is restored but as a restoration rather than to rebadge.
The guy I bought it from was under the impression that the original paint was from holdsworth. Could it be an Olympic sport restored by holdsworth?

To further add confusion Claud butler serial numbers are normally 5 numbers long, Freddy grub four. Mine is six numbers. According to the internet that would make it a 1982 if indeed a holdsworth.
For reference I added some more pictures to the original link above

VOxGphk.jpg

Re:

Frames like this, track ends, mudguard clearance, modestly priced, for general purpose club use were dying out by the mid 60's.

Keith

Re:

I'm getting deja vu, Keith.
This sure looks like an '80s Holdsworthy product to me. The 'EO' bracket shell and serial no. placement and format are identical to that on my Holdsworth Special, also likely '82.
OP- That looks to be a large frame, which sometimes get built with a beefy seat tube. Is the bracket shell 65mm or 68mm wide? Can you post a full side-on picture of the frame with wheels in?

Re:

Always possible for Holdsworthy to build one later, they probably had the parts in stock. Just a thought, I wonder if Winston Vaz would remember them building an old type road/track frame?

Keith

Back