Abilita Detective fun AKA name that tubeset

cce

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
browsing ebay I stumbled across a listing offering simply "hand made racing bike"

it had a few interesting details, so long story short, it's now mine, and i'm trying to work out what it is

Headtube lugs
zQSyLvr.jpg

Maker's name? around the brake cable entry port - I can't make it out very well and i'm sorry this photo is a bit cack, i'll try another
KwJKupi.jpg

Seat Cluster detailing
bBqwq6t.jpg

It also has a race number hanger (this drew me in in the first place) cinelli "spoiler" BB shell, takes a 27.2 seatpost (always a good sign on steel), 126mm back end, a short serial under the BB "30539" (I think, it's quite painty)

Built with late 80s/early 90s stuff (105 7 speed hubs, FC-1050 crankset, early RX-100 downtube shifters and mechs, I don't think this stuff has a lot to say for itself...

any ideas? i'm under no delusions it's anything special just one of the legion of "nice" steel frame of the period.

Re: Some bank holiday detective fun

As you were posting that I was digging around

Paul Wilkins of Sturminster newton built frames under the "Abilita" name. I'm in Bristol so it's not a miracle to suggest one might end up here

Re: Some bank holiday detective fun

I've seen some nice Abilita badged frames over the years, even Hilary Stone had one :)

bb4191b5a3d4085545f3f7033e46569a6ced6106.jpg

Shaun

Re: Some bank holiday detective fun - Abilita

On the pics you've posted, I'm going to guess the tubing type as Columbus SLX.

All the images I found of Abilita frames had Reynolds tubing, but I sense Columbus in that one...

I'm in two minds about what to do with this. I bought it mainly to find out what it was, and now I've done that. Always vague intentions about tidying it up and moving it on, but if it turns out to be SLX or 753 bets might be off on that front...

Re:

Still don't have the BB out (should be done tomorrow night) but I shone a bright light down the seat tube and cant see any evidence of ribbing or rifling, which I think precludes SLX

Having read about the unique sound of 753 I've been pinging the tubes and it does sound very different from my 653 bike, although the 653 is built up and this isn't.

I've never been able to see SLX rifling from above... Jussayin'

(And keeping my almost random, wild guess alive)

Back