O.T. - Merckx MXL? Advice.

malley

Dirt Disciple
Posted on the road forum, too - cheers!

Looking at an eddy merckx frame. It's max tubing, red and in good nick. Here's the thing, tho' - there is no merckx logo where the seatstays meet the seatpost/binder bolt/top tube lug. Also, the decal states columbus MAX ( as it should ) but the top tube has corsa extra on it? Finally, I'm familiar with the profiling on the MXL's but can't tell if the ovalising is oriented corrctly on the top tube - should it appear narrow at the seat or head tube from the side? Sorry, just excited to have tracked one down and want to make sure! Will try and get serial number asap. Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

I have a MX Leader, and it's a great bike. The downtube is ovalized by the headtube and "flattened" by the bottom bracket. Also, the MX L has huge chain stays, with no bridge between them. The head tube flattens, or narrows out, by the head tube. Mine has the Merckx logo where the seat stays meet the seat tube. I'd be concerned about it saying "Corsa Extra" Good luck--

could you have a look at this same thread posted below? I posted it in both mtb and road forums and it's been shifted here by the moderator!

There's a link to a picture from the 1992 merckx catalogue showing a MAX tubed corsa extra which looks the same as the one I'm negotiating for at present. Thanks for the reply, tho'. Any chance of a pic of yr MXL!?!?!

Cheers.

I would love to post pictures of it--and the rest of my bikes--but I can't figure out how to post them--it says my pictures are too big.

Go into your photo editor and there is a 'reduce size' option - usually around 30% does the trick...

..but resave under a different name of course!

Back