Replacement Chain for '85 Raleigh

Pilotdavo

Retro Newbie
I've had a bit of an issue with a new KMC Z7 7 Speed Chain skipping on my 1985 Raleigh Royal. I had posted in another thread but after putting the old chain back on the problem is fixed.

I was wondering what others on here had used for a 3/32" x1/2" chain replacement for this era of bikes that might work better than the KMC I tried.

Ta for any thoughts.

Re:

I'm having real trouble finding a replacement 5 speed freewheel to fit. Needs to be 24mm wide as the replacement I tried (Sun Race) was 28mm as most modern replacements seem to be.

If I could find a freewheel I'd be happy with that but the freewheel I have doesn't appear to be worn
1z1ea74.jpg

Re:

The chain rings are in good nick and the skipping occurs on the middle 3 sprockets under moderate loads when in either chainring so I'm fairly sure it's the chain/freewheel?

Re:

If that's the case then I need a replacement but I'm struggling to find a 24mm 5 speed freewheel that will fit without rearranging the setup of the rear hub and wheel. Any ideas for chain or freewheel would be great.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks for the links. I did try one made by Sun Race which is the same as the examples you found. It's a 28mm width which doesn't fit the frame. I didn't really want to keep ordering multiple freewheels in the hope one would fit. I was hoping someone knew of a chain or 24mm freewheel that would be compatible with the chain I have.

Latest posts

Back