Getting brake levers at the same height *on the bike*

cce

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anybody got any nifty tricks for getting brake levers the same height while on the bike? with the bars off the bike I use the "put it on the table" method, but I don't want to disconnect everything following a recent smack that's moved one of them....

Re:

Section of broom handle or similar on the hoods. If it is parallel to the tops then the levers are the same height. Not an exact science but is how I have always done it!

Re:

Pro team mechanics in the old days used to use a spirit level across the hoods...what was good enough for them.

Jon.

Re: Re:

kipperthedog":q3xy6yoe said:
Section of broom handle or similar on the hoods. If it is parallel to the tops then the levers are the same height. Not an exact science but is how I have always done it!

Yep, my method also. So long as it's straight and long enough it works fine. Mind you, I can always tell if one is slightly out of kilter just by sitting on the bike with hands on the hoods. Generally (unless it's badly out) a quick tweak is enough to sort it out without affecting the tape wrap.

Ended up using a metre rule, it was just a few mm out - fine over 5 miles, less so over 45!

I use an iron ruler I put along the bottom side of the drop

28v3vrm.jpg

Those bars need rotating downwards :) Just don't go too crazy (unless you're Sean Yates)...

e.g.

Attachments

• greglemondfan.com_.jpg
    greglemondfan.com_.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 658
  • Yates95.jpg
    Yates95.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 658
  • eb52203c60192f03862a145ce0c54844.jpg
    eb52203c60192f03862a145ce0c54844.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 658
  • Greg-LeMond-Bernard-Hinault-Alpe-dHuez-1986-Tour-de-France-pic-Sirotti.jpg
    Greg-LeMond-Bernard-Hinault-Alpe-dHuez-1986-Tour-de-France-pic-Sirotti.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 658
Re:

We all use images found on the net that don't belong to us in a effort to try and show what we talking about.

Back