Pedalling Dreams: The Raleigh Story

Re:

It was very good, sadly charting the rise and fall of a great British company and institution - seen some of the footage before, some clips from British Transport Films (e.g continental touring).

Rk.

I enjoyed it and even my wife and daughter watched it too.
The piece about the 10 year old girl who rode to Rhyl in a day from Huddersfield was very interesting given the achievement and the local interest for me as resident of the area.

With all the mentions of Raleigh's acquisitions I was disappointed that they didn't mention Carlton.
As I understand it the SBDU (which they did have a little segment on) wouldn't have been what it was without the expertise that came from Worksop.
Feel free to put me right if I've got my history a little skewed!

Mark.

daccordimark":aaejej8o said:
I enjoyed it and even my wife and daughter watched it too.
The piece about the 10 year old girl who rode to Rhyl in a day from Huddersfield was very interesting given the achievement and the local interest for me as resident of the area.

With all the mentions of Raleigh's acquisitions I was disappointed that they didn't mention Carlton.
As I understand it the SBDU (which they did have a little segment on) wouldn't have been what it was without the expertise that came from Worksop.
Feel free to put me right if I've got my history a little skewed!

Mark.

Yes, what the documentary didn't reveal was that Reg Harris recommended that Raleigh buy Carlton, and yes staff from both Nottingham and Woksop joined the SBDU.

Rk.

Not one mention of the mighty Carlton, and how the head man later headed up the SBDU. A great watch none the less, left me feeling somewhat deflated for yet another demise of a fine manufacturing business in the UK.

Could have been extended to a couple of hours to cover all aspects in a bit more depth. A bit of a mixture of company and social history.

The History Man":3gopk2w0 said:
Could have been extended to a couple of hours to cover all aspects in a bit more depth. A bit of a mixture of company and social history.
remember this is a BBc documentary aimed at the cycling layman, who maybe has a few fond memories of cycling in his/her youth, but wouldn't really want to watch anything in-depth cycling. Plus Raleigh was a name we grew up with, so an element of where-are-they-now? thrown in.

Had it been 2 hours, I may not have recorded it, but that probably says more about me being unable to sit doing nothing for any length of time. 90% of what I watch are maximum 1 hour self contained programmes.

Back