Sturmey Archer 6 speed set up?

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
I have a S/A 3 speed hub built into a wheel with two sprockets on it.It came like it . I have been told{unless someone is taking the **** :LOL: that some riders use to run a 6 speed set up . If so how was this done .ie moving the chain from one sprocket to another .
Surely you cannot run a 2 speed derailleur as well at the back :? :facepalm:

bagpuss":1ydx1tfq said:
I have a S/A 3 speed hub built into a wheel with two sprockets on it.It came like it . I have been told{unless someone is taking the **** :LOL: that some riders use to run a 6 speed set up . If so how was this done .ie moving the chain from one sprocket to another .
Surely you cannot run a 2 speed derailleur as well at the back :? :facepalm:

I know the author Bob Damper, he been on a few of my rides. I use this set up on my Hobbs of Barbican.

Jon.

N.B talk you through this if you wish, just done one with a friend.

Re:

Well I will be.....
So I have a 2 speed Cyclo benilux and lever to hand .I also have the Cyclo pictured 1930 date stamp.
. I will need a S/A trigger . I have a toggle and the cable guides and small wheel guide and cables hiding in the back of the shed .
I have plenty of nos chains of the right size.
Check the chain will run though the derailleur cage.
One question . what size chainring at the front is best . I am running a 3 pin williams c/s . Whats still available .

Jon if it is ok i will pm you when i have all the bits together

Re:

No problem, at least you've a good start and have a freewheel - otherwise you'd have to source that (splined/threaded). The chainring...little depends on where you ride...you could source a few, or start with say, a 40 or 42.

I've a 42 on my Williams c/set...might be changing for a Stronglight though still period.

Jon.

Re:

Quite common in the mid to late 40s, I had a hub gear with 2 cogs, using the cyclo twin wire gear that was popular from mid 30's to about late 40s.

This has a number of problems. Raleigh frames had a 5/16 inch rear end slot to take the 7/16 SA flatted axle so that it would not turn in low gear. Using very low gears can mash the planet gears or turn the axle in low gear. Also you have the inherent problems of both systems. Surely better to have all gears in direct drive.

Keith

Re:

Jon .
Are you using a 5 pin Williams c/s? ie to get a bigger choice of chainrings to fit .
I have one on my Cluad Butler . Found them to be few and far between to get hold of.
The choice of thee pin c/r seems more limited
The sprockets on the rear wheel appear to be two S/A ones not a free wheel arrangement of some kind . I maybe miss under standing you on this . I will post a couple of pictures on the bits i have .

Paul.

Thank you to all for are input and comments .

Just had another read of the vcc page . This is a different set up to the one i have . The two sprockets fitted are 21 inner 18 outer and not a seperate free wheel block ie a cyclo one .

i have a 1950's Raleigh that came to me with a 4 speed s/a rear hub with 2 external cogs so 8 speeed's

as far as i am aware yes 2 separate sprockets

the 4 speed hub lost a few of its internal parts over the 50+ years so i lost 2 gears and had it replaced with a later 3 speed hub so now only have 6 speeds , it works well .

see my post on Cyclechat for pictures

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-50 ... er.196906/

Back