Campagnolo Record 8sp hubs conversion to 10sp

johnggow

Retro Newbie
I've put this off long enough, but as the years pass, I need to use the lower gears now available by using a wider ratio cassette. I have some really nice Campagnolo record 8 sp wheels and wondered, is it possible to just replace the Campagnolo 8 speed rotor with a 10 sp one? Also can I do this myself?

Re:

I don't think it's possible to swap the body on a Record 8 speed hub with a 10/11 speed. I think the axle is a different size, so the newer bodies won't fit. Supposedly it is possible with Chorus 8 speed though.

A couple of other options:
Change the sprockets: Marchisio apparently make sprockets that fit Campagnolo 8 speed hubs and go up to 30 teeth, which would give you a bit lower gearing. It seems that you can buy individual sprockets here:
http://clemenzo.com/en/marchisio/8-9-sp ... ogs-jc-8-9

A triple or compact crankset would give you lower gears at the front and let you keep your rear wheel and cassette. Campag's pre compact cranksets only fit a 39 tooth ring - most modern compacts go to 34 or lower.
But you might need a longer cage rear derailleur, and you'd need to get a front derailleur for a triple crankset.

Maybe you've already tried some of the above. Speaking from experience, swapping hub bodies is not as easy as it might seem. I've run into compatibility problems before.

Cheers,

Johnny

You'll get a good price for wheels if they are tidy. Then buy a silver (for the classic look) 10 speed Campag hub.

The splines are different so you cannot fit 9-11 speed directly.

An easy option is to keep the 8 speed spacers and combine with sprockets from a 9 or 10 speed cassette.

Early 9 speed hubs were indeed interchangable for the freehub body. That would require your hub to be circa 1996-7 to accept one. You would have to buy and cannibalise a 1997 9/10 speed hub as the bodies are no longer available separately as spares - as far as I know.

All in all Matt's advice is probably the simplest.

Re:

Thanks everyone, a lot of good advice in here. I think the easiest thing to do is go with a compact, but in the meantime I'll see what I can source in 9 speed variations. That sprocket website is a great find, thanks for that.

Re:

Johnsqual, thanks for the advice re Marchisio cassette cogs. Ordered a 30 on Sunday, arrived today and fitted to bike. Cost - £11.52 delivered.

BUT: the teeth on the spline too long for my hub (probably Athena from early 1990s). Judicious filing required, no more than 15 mins careful work, and then fitted fine. Campag 8 speed cassettes easy to space out equally (took out the 14 tooth, previous low was 26) and tested on the turbo. Campag being Campag, easily lifted the chain onto the 30, no adjustment required on the B screw. Tried with the big ring at the front (53 / 39) and even that shifted it, although bit of a groan - but would never use this combination. The derailleur is only a basic Mirage, not long cage, the rest of the set up is Athena.

Might get up a few more hills on this one now.

Latest posts

Back