seat post fit

pondweed

Old School Hero
Hi. I have an existing seatpost that is marked 26.8 on the B.E Touristique, 531 ST tubing. Its scratched and marks every time you move it; I have measured the tube aperture at the top as 25.9.

Ok, so do I assume its a wrong un and rub it down a bit so its a bit smoother? What should the difference between the OD of the post and ID of the seat tube be, ideally?

Re:

Sounds like your binder bolt has been overtightened to hold a skinnier than ideal seatpost. Normally, 531 is 27.2 internal diameter although I've heard of 27.0.

I'd be tempted to try opening the lugs up a bit with a screwdriver then cleaning and greasing both the inside of the tube and the seatpost.

Is your tubing Special Tourist (ST) or Super Tourist (ST)... I'm guessing, based on the 26.8 pin that it is Super Tourist - Reynolds beefed up the seat tube and top tube in 1989 and Super Tourist takes a 26.8mm seat post.

If your pin is moving and also clamping tight when the bolt in the seat lug is tightened then it sounds the correct size, but you probably have some burrs somewhere in the tube, usually around the lip or the slot in the back of the tube. If you don't have a reamer, then a good round file should help to smooth out the inside of the seat tube.

Re:

thanks both.

Whoa - I;'m confused now - if they both are marked up "ST" then how are we to know?!

Can anyone confirm what the British Eagle Touristique was?

I'll get deburring. No wish to change seatpost.

Super Tourist was 89+ and used the revised Reynolds transfer. Special Tourist was pre 89 and used a different design transfer, so upload a pic of your transfer.

Re:

decal has already been replaced, sadly.

The original owner said he bought it about 1989 - a graphitey grey Touristique originally - and it was new old stock from about 1986. I wonder if there is any ability to work it out from the frame number?

But sounds thus like Special.

painted OD measurements
top (lugged bit, right near rim) 31.4
top of tube below tensioner, 29.4
rest of tube OD 28.9-28.5

does that also suggest - if the tubing is the earlier incarnation - that the seat post has been forced and expanded the tube in that top area?

Back