Robert Marchand - 105 years old + WR 14 mph

CommanderChuff

Devout Dirtbag
Here is an idea for your retirement before you all get really old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38510439

He may not be the fastest cyclist round a velodrome, but he is easily one of the oldest.

Robert Marchand has clocked up 105 years and now a new record for the furthest distance cycled in one hour. The French cyclist managed 22.547km (14 miles) at the national velodrome, taking the top spot in a new category - for riders over 105. Mr Marchand already holds the record for those aged over 100 - 26.927km - set in 2012. He "could have done better", he says, but missed a sign showing 10 minutes to go. "My legs didn't hurt," he told BFMTV. "My arms hurt but that's because of rheumatism."

To be fair, he had admitted before the event at the Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines velodrome near Paris that breaking his previous hour record would be tough.
"I'm not in such good shape as I was a couple of years back," he told AFP news agency. "I am not here to be champion. I am here to prove that at 105 years old you can still ride a bike," he said.

Re:

Wonderful .
A group of grand vets I go riding with on Wednesday are young compared to his chap. Their age range are to 80, 82 and clock up 50 miles at a time even during winter . They always inspire me . Never a dull moment with all the banter :D .

Back