Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I have a project on the way, from around 2003.
So I'm looking for some black factory built wheels, Shimano compatible, for 9 speed.
Could get some traditional wheels, then swap about on other bikes, but I think factory ones would look best.
Something like Mavic Ksyriums, maybe.

What would you recommend, had bad experiences with, etc?

Thanks

Mike

Re:

I'd recommend aksium elites. light, stiff and relatively cheap. pretty bombproof. easily serviced.
get the elites over the standard aksiums - the different rim joint makes quite a difference to weight.

I have a pair of Mavic SSC (the non SL variant), they are bullet proof IMHO, I've generally been over 95kg since 2000 (up to 107kg in 2014 and still rode them), bought mine new in 2002-3 ish and though not used much they are superb. I also love my Heliums too.
Thinking of selling the SSCs because I'm cutting back my stable, if you're interested give me a shout.
Oh and they are 8-11 speed compatible

cce":1hdtla10 said:
You don't specify a budget....

AsI was looking at Ksyriums, I thought that my give it away. Up to, er Ksyrium prices. ;)
tonyf39":1hdtla10 said:
I have a pair of Mavic SSC (the non SL variant), they are bullet proof IMHO, I've generally been over 95kg since 2000 (up to 107kg in 2014 and still rode them), bought mine new in 2002-3 ish and though not used much they are superb. I also love my Heliums too.
Thinking of selling the SSCs because I'm cutting back my stable, if you're interested give me a shout.
Oh and they are 8-11 speed compatible

Aren't Heliums a bit risky for you? Not being unkind, but I decided not to buy some years ago, as I felt I was too heavy, at 75kg

Mike

hamster":27apq8qz said:
Avoid the basic Aksiums as the spokes are a nightmare to source spares.

Thanks Hamster!

That's just the sort of advice I was looking for! Would you know if Ksyriums are any better in that regard?

Mike

I've got ksyrium spokes before. Mavic don't support anything over 7-i-think years old in that regard but there are still stocks out there.

I would do a quick check on spares at big retailers before buying any factory wheel set secondhand. Frankly I am still to be convinced of their merits as a used buy compared to conventional wheels.

Not keen on Mavic. They made good rims but since they switched their business model to predominately selling complete wheels they're not good value for money, have been slow to keep up to date and and there's too much proprietary tech.

DT Swiss R24 Spline are unbeatable for the money, even post-Brexit: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/dt- ... aid:797208

Fulcrum 5 LG (avoid the 7 as they have plain gauge spokes) are another option for the same money, but seem to be out of stock generally: http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/ ... acing-5-lg

Not sure what you mean by "Could get some traditional wheels... ...but I think factory ones would look best." though.

Back