rechroming ends then painting Restoration question?

snufkin

Retro Newbie
Hi all, first post, there are some lovely bikes on here !

I have a lovely 30s/40s London built club bike that has been stripped and needs repainting before restoration.

It had chromed (possibly nickel) fork ends and rear triangle.

I have had another less "high end" 30s club bike re enamelled (as a present) and I am assembling it now with parts I am slowly collecting.

My question is if I use a separate chroming place for the nicer frame what order to I get the work done?

Stripped cleaned (by me or chroming or paint place) --> chroming (does more than the rear triangle need to be filled and plated?) --> sent to painters (painting done) --> collected by me.

Would it be best to just hand off such a project to someone who does both in-house like argos ?

Has anyone one here done a project like this (interest to hear your experiences).

Thanks.

I would have though any chroming/plating is done first, then the prep for paint and final painting.

Re:

When i had my Hetchins reburbished I let Mercians sort it out .Chroming done by Derby chrome plating on abbey street . Paint work by Mercians.
Hetchins by rebalrid, on Flickr

Hetchins by rebalrid, on Flickr

Well chuffed with finish . CP was not cheap - you get what you pay for .
Do not forget to ask for a pip to be added to the down tube{ if there is not one already}, if use down tube shifters . I did . It caused me a few issues by not having one :facepalm: .

Back