Quill Stem Upgrade for Thicker Handlebars

PhilipS

Retro Newbie
Let's talk Quills.

I'm looking to upgrade the current quill stem to a 0 degree rise or 90 degree shape, and accept thicker 31.8mm handlebars.

Quill - 25mm and angled up 10 degrees

Handlebars - 28mm dia x 42cm wide

Stem Tube 15 degrees.

I like the Shimano 600 quill. It's 0 degree rise and matches the 600 tricolor cranks. Except, that it won't accept thicker handlebars than what I have now. I could double wrap the bars because they are very uncomfortable.

What have you found that would work?

Thank you in advance.

The simplest solution is a quill/ahead converter with an ahead stem. Freshtripe do the Velosolo ones.

If your comfort problem is vibration through the bars then 31.8 bars are unlikely to solve things - they are more rigid! Double wrapping tape is a better solution. I only double wrap the tops, which also gives a nice fat diameter to grip.

31.8 handlebars are only significantly wider at the stem anyway, not at the areas you hold

Oversize quill stems do exist, but are quite rare (slightly more common in MTB circles I believe): the introduction of oversize handlebars was concurrent with the introduction of the A-head system.

Much easier to get some more bars: the 600 stem was available in both 25.4mm and 26.0mm.

Re:

Did more digging.

Profile Designs and Factory 5 make the converter stems.

Profile Designs website will choose the proper bars based on your hands. Makes it easy.

For now, I will double wrap the bars and do more fitment adjustments. Keep the great ideas coming.

Re:

I've been running a few retro modern builds where I've wanted to replicate position/bar shape to my modern bikes,Nitto do a 90 stem that's cheaper than a lot of their offerings and the Soma Highway 1 and Compass Daija bars are 26.0 diamerer but shaped as a modern compact shape with shorter ramps to the levers and ive been using a fizik gel pad that goes on the top and around the 'corner' to the lever with thick tape on top {fizik/Spec}

What discomfort are you experiencing?

If you have big hands and are getting cramps because the bars are too skinny, then double-wrapping will help. Or slip an old inner tube over the bars before wrapping.

If it's road vibration, you're better off treating it at source: wider (and more supple) tyres and lower pressures, ideally with wider rims (eg TB14) and latex tyres.

A friend of mine was suffering with numb hands, despite gel pads under the tape and padded gloves: wide rims, 25mm open tubulars & latex tubes, 30psi less and he's dispensed with gloves and gel pads.

Faster too!

Latest posts

Back