Recommend me a 'fast' bike

beepbeep

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

Last year I had a 1986 Colnago Master, I loved the racy feel of it, it seemed to urge me to go faster. Strangely even more so than the modern carbon bike I had at the time (BMC ProMachine) which was lighter, stiffer, etc, etc...

However I sold the Master because it was on the large side for me. I then bought a modern steel frame (Soulcraft Royale) in my size that I thought would have the same feel as the Master. I was wrong. It's definitely a nice ride, but somehow lacks the race feel of the Master.

So I'd like to get another frame with this racy feel. Of course I could get another Master in my size, but wondered if there are any other models/brands out there that would offer this kind of ride. I'm guessing it's geometry more than anything? Do Colnago Supers feel fast too?
Vintage steel is on the top of the list, but I'm open to titanium and aluminium.

Hi, I have accumulated a few bikes over the years including a Colnago Master, but the bike that always feels the liveliest and raring to get out of the blocks is my Vitus 979...

Don't buy a Merckx Corsa Extra, lovely frame but heavy & stable rather than sprightly and inspiring.
I can highly recommend a Scandium Wilier. Great geometry, stunning ride and doesn't beat you up.
they do turn up occasionally and for not a lot of money. Criminally undervalued!

Re:

If you love Colnago then why not order the new Arabsque frame as this will be a future investment at the same tine get one while you can though.. More than a 2 month wait right now...

Re:

Thanks for the replies.

@Robster914 - Interesting, I love the look of these bikes, but was put off by stories of tubes coming unbounded. Time to do some googling...

@Stick Legs - Nice! Another bike I'd have never considered before, I've also had a Scandium frame before that I liked, nice and light. Italian too!

@Nob - Not really a diehard Colnago fan, but those frames are lovely. Unfortunately way out of my price range, I like the idea of the investment value though.

Hayabusa :LOL: I'm about due for a midlife crisis!

Re:

out of interest are you allowing for different wheel sets? lighter wheels on a bike will give it a great deal more life.So much so that you can only really compare frames if you try them both with the same set of wheels or at least wheels of a similar weight.Probably something you have allready thought of but worth a mention
Peter

Back