Respray or touch up?

Frizzaldo

Old School Hero
My Team Panasonic SBDU frame has a few rust spots on the underside of the downtube and chainstays. The rest of the paint on the frame is in good condition (apart from a few decals that are tatty).
Id like to preserve the original paint but am worried that the rust spots might spread.

What do you reckon, full respray, just underside or spot touch ups?

The white paint is pearlized and slightly off white, anyone know the original paint code?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 792
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    41.6 KB · Views: 792
with the quality of the frame at stake id go for a full paint job

Re:

Thanks Nob, I've been thinking that, anything else might look look a bit patchwork.

Would like to keep the off white pearlescent colour rather than plain white though, will need to see if I can find a decent painter this side on the water (Ireland) who can recreate it.

I'd recommend Argos of Bristol anytime as there renovations & paint is excellent but good luck in your search there in Ireland :)

That frame deserves the best.

Re:

I think the paint is Oyster pearlescent.

You could try asking member Mullnino about sprayers over there, I think he is from Antrim, he has made some frames and had them painted ;)

Re:

Thanks Nob, Kermit. I've sent Mullinino a PM.

Neil (Originalshinkicker I think) mentioned Oyster also when I asked him on his blog. Good to have the name of the colour.

Re:

......made some frames? MADE SOME FRAMES!!!??? Harrrrumph! would you say Leo Davinci 'did some pictures' ???

Attachments

• Chez-Quis-Maitre-D.jpg
    Chez-Quis-Maitre-D.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 661
Re:

Edit : Should have read 'he has made many fabulous and fantastic frames'

Just like DaVinci who made some wonderful paintings, both are masters of their craft ;)

Re:

Ha-that's better!! No, I hate with a passion the hipsterish reverence of a few bits of steel stuck together for a purpose, a bike's just a wee machine made to go from A to B, some are heavier than others and some are made over here and some are made over there and that's about it!

Re:

Reminds me of 2 of my favourite quotes

1) From an aeroplane designer ' There is no myth to designing an aeroplane, if it looks right it will fly right. '.

2) From a rocket scientist ' Even rocket science isn't rocket science. '.

Back