New bike :)

Patrick_S

Dirt Disciple
Hey, I just joined here and would love it if you guys could help me out.
A trip to a local bike shop proved extremely fruitful when the owner GAVE (not sold!) me an old Peugeot road bike.

However, being a mountainbiker first and foremost, and never having encountered a bike of this age before, I am clueless about any details of it. It needs brake cables and a lottt of cleaning around the drivetrain, but hey, cant be bad for a free bike!

It has an Atax stem, Atom rear hub, Weinmann brakes with Mafac levers and Simplex derailleurs.

Anyway, if you check out this album on pinkbike you can see my new acquisition and if anyone knows what model/year it is or anything else interesting about it i'd love to know!

http://p1313.pinkbike.com/album/New-Peugeot/

Thanks

Nice frame - any free bike is a great bike.

Not sure of era, guessing late 70's but that style of graphic (ie classic Peugeot) is quite desirable for a fixed wheel conversion.

If the forks are bent like that check carefully around the head tube for any signs of front end crash damage (cracking paint/ flaring etc).

Sorry to rain on your parade but I wouldn't trust my life to something that has had a front end smack like that.

I would think that the handling would be a little unusual too.

Run your thumb and index finger along the top and down tubes. Any kind of bump, ripple or blister means that the frame is dead.

In an impact that causes the forks to do that the head tube will often try and yank itself free of the top tube and try to get even more friendly with the down tube.

yea i'm not planning on riding it much anyway, more just a bit of a DIY project. But can any of you tell me what kind of bike it is? As i say, I'm new to all this:)

Serious question?!

:?

In my day growing up they were known as 'racers', now they are called 'road bikes' (!) also commonly known as '10 speeds' BITD in the US.

The drop bars, lightweight frame and wheels and range of high-ish gears allows for faster, more efficient progress than other bikes...

No no no lol, more specifically as in what model it is.
The only markings on the frame say Peugeot and "Record du Monde" which I imagine is simply a slogan not the name of the bike.
Apologies for coming across as the epitome of Newbie! :LOL:

Oh and I need to replace the brake cables on it, for these Weinmann calipers with Mafac levers, what sort of cables should I buy?

:roll:

:LOL:

Only really two types of cable in common usage for years now. Pear nipple for drop bar levers, barrel nipple for MTB/BMX etc.

Back