Campagnolo BB axle 70ss 115,5mm long, what is this?

PerB

Old School Hero
I am in need of a new bottom bracket for my Rossin Record, Super record equipped bike approx 1979/80 vintage.
A friend of mine has one axle marked 70ss but it measures 115,5 mm, It comes complete with cups which seems to be the older thick wall cups. I cant find any Strada (SS marking) BB axle of 115,5 mm in any of the Campa catalogs i have looked at.

Which group does this axle belong to?

Re:

The MTB ones I have are 124mm and 132mm. Which of course doesn't rule out that this one is for an MTB, but hopefully is useful nonetheless.

Re:

Nope, standard NR and SR axle for double chaining is 113 mm according to all my catalogs up to 85. Anyhow there is a reference in the 85 catalog regarding a +1 +1,5 axle, could it be one of those?

Re:

I agree with Shaun.

The axles got 2.5 mm longer after 1978 (+1 and +1.5 left and right). Later ones were stamped just 68-SS or 70-SS.

Thick cups with the rifling are consistent with this.

Give it a try.

Ok Thanks, I will check my crank set for date, I assume they also changed the the crank to fit with the redesigned axle as well.

Just checked on Velobase and they think a standard NR italian bottom bracket axle is 115mm. Just out of curiosity what's stamped on the cranks?, presumably a number in a diamond.

Shaun

Re:

Thought I had just posted this - suspect it'll appear in a mo as a double post!

If it helps the 4th one down on the link below is 115.5, a 'new style. Gran Sport.

Lord knows how you do links so just cut and paste

http://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html

I've a few bikes with Gran Sport chainsets and finding axles has been a nightmare. Nailed it now, found some and stocked up.

Iirc gran sport were black, they were slightly different and on occasion used by the guys running very short wheelbase or chainstays with little in the way of dents. There was a lot of mix and match going on back then :)

Shaun

Back